Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I manually backup EVERYTHING on my computer using Lion v10.7

Hi,

I am preparing my laptop for when I open her up and upgrade the RAM. I need to know how do I manually backup EVERYTHING on my computer? I wish to do this just the one time.

• I am using Lion OS v10.7
  • My believe computer is a 2009 13" Macbook Pro.
  • I have a Western Digital, Mac formatted, external HDD which I have paritioned .
  • It connects via USB 2.0

All help appreciated thank you.

Matt

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 10:25 AM

1 reply

Oct 14, 2012 10:28 AM in response to darkhorse85

Clone Lion using Restore Option of Disk Utility

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu then press the Continue button.

2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.

3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.

4. Check the box labeled Erase destination.

5. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it to the Destination entry field.

6. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to the Source entry field.

7. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the external backup drive. Source means the internal startup drive.

How do I manually backup EVERYTHING on my computer using Lion v10.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.