Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.ds_store stops file copying

i am trying to copy all of my photos from a network drive to a local USB, but i regulalry get an error saying that the .DS_Store file already exists and this stops the copy and have no way to tell if all the files have been copied - can anyone tell me how to stop the error or how to get rid of the .DS_Store file. I kinda know what it is there for, but it is casuing a right pain when trying to bulk copy files

cheers, kev

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 11:33 AM

2 replies

Nov 10, 2012 1:59 AM in response to kilofox

Try File/Find

On the buttons to the upper left of the find window, pull down on "kind", choose "file visibility" or "other" to find file visibility. on the button to the right of the first one, choose "invisible items".

At the upper right of the same window, where you see the looking glass icon, type in ".DS_Store"

The Finder will list all of the .DS_Store files.

I had the same problem that got resolved by erasing all of the Store files that were made or modified on the day that I was copying the files. You can erase any number of them to determine whether you've removed the blocking of copying your files. You can delete all of them manually if you wish, or you can dl an app called Asepsis.

Best of luck.

.ds_store stops file copying

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.