7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2012 10:18 AM by ggr001
ggr001 Level 1 (0 points)

Can I complete the unlock process with AT&T for my iPhone 3Gs using the original sim card rather than another carrier?  My purpose is to unlock the phone and use it out of the country with a sim card from that country's carrier. 

Also, is there any way short of contacting AT&T or Apple (Apple store) that I can confirm the unlock process is complete and successful?  I followed the instructions but have not seen anything to confirm the unlock is effective. 

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 3GS
  • wegras Level 6 (15,065 points)
  • ggr001 Level 1 (0 points)

Peter, thanks for the link but I've been there.  My questions are not answered in that link.  Thanks.  Any wisdom from the U.K.?

• wegras Level 6 (15,065 points)

Not that I am aware of ,We have been unlocking iPhones in UK for at least 3 years

and frankly the only way there has ever been is to try another sim

Know anyone visiting from outside US and could try their sim ?

Is T-mobile GSM ,if so try one ??

• bendeela Level 1 (0 points)

Hello there,

I have a similar question.

Once I've unlocked using a different sim am I then locked into the network of the new sim or can I change sims/networks whenever I like?

Thanks

David

• needleman_mark Level 3 (960 points)

as one of the other repliers indicated (implicitly) - you can complete the unlock using your original sim card - to complete the unlock you have to restore the phone in itunes - if its unlocked you should get a message from itunes that says

Congratulations your iPhone is now unlocked

but the only way you will really know it worked is to use a different sim card

that what i did - i

1) restored the iPhone with the original sim card and got the congratulations message

2) installed a pre-paid sim card from another carrier and made an received a phone call

• stevejobsfan0123 Level 8 (40,262 points)

Used SIMs are super cheap. AFAIK, they don't need to be active in order to unlock. You can probably get a T-Mobile SIM for a couple bucks on eBay.

• ggr001 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks all.  I will need to contact AT&T and perhaps Apple.  I followed the process but did not get the unlock message from iTunes.  Stay tuned.