Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fcp songs

I am doing a video slideshow of video clips of a wedding (e.g. wedding party getting ready, for example). I mute all video sound and play it to iTunes music. In editing, I like to watch the video with the music to get a feel for whether a scene is too long or too short or should maybe be eliminated. In iMovie, there is an option to have music use a magnetic timeline (vs. having it attach to a particular spot in a segment). This allows for you to add, delete, shorten, lengthen clips without worry of having to further move around music as clips become shorter or longer.

Is there a way to do this in FCPX?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 1:33 PM

7 replies

Oct 14, 2012 2:39 PM in response to jatobey

No, I know that the clips are on a magnetic timeline. But, the problem I am having is that as I shorten or lengthen a clip, the songs I drag in are associated with a point in a clip vs. a point in the project. I want the audio to be on its OWN magnetic timeline regardless of what I do with the clips.

e.g. I have multiple clips that work out to 7 minutes long, but, I decide I want to shorten some of the clips. I had a song that was 3 minutes long, then one that was 2 minutes long. As I shortened clips in the first three minutes, the second song gets dragged earlier because the song is attached to a clip at the 3 minute mark, which has now become a spot 2:40 seconds into the project. I now have an overlap of song of 20 seconds. I wanted the second song to just stay right after the 3 minute first song.

Is there a way to make the music be on its own magnetic timeline?

Oct 19, 2012 2:58 PM in response to Jakob Peterhänsel

Jakob Peterhänsel wrote:

I've done some videos clipped to a music track, and the music Never moves!

Drag your first video clip to the timeline.

Drag your music track(s) in, UNDER the video track/main storyline.

Move your video around like you like..

This works for me... as this first project in FCPX shows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahUuW1Dc8ZY

I tried dragging my music track UNDER but it still moves as it attaches to the video clip's storyline. I will be having multiple songs. Therefore, I understand the first song shouldn't move as that is attached to the beginning of the first video clip. But, any subsequent changes on length will affect the location of any other songs I add to the video past the first song. Maybe monkeying with "roles"? I don't even know for sure what that does. Still learning here.

Oct 19, 2012 2:58 PM in response to fox_m

fox_m wrote:

Then use the audio as the storyline media and connect the video clips to the audio. Once you've set up your "play track" it will never move. You can move your video clips wherever you want.

Concerned that if I went this way, would the video clips I add add magnetically? Or would I have to manually position them next to each other so there is no gap- and would they move as I added or subtracted footage before or after--- or would they be attaching to a part of a song? That is how the music kind of does with the video clip as the storyline.

Oct 19, 2012 6:09 PM in response to kahlua021997

Adding video clips this way just creates connected clips. With snapping turned on, you can drag the clips together and they will snap end to end perfectly.

You can however, select *any* connected clip to the audio storyline and right-click and select Create Storyline. You can then add clips into that secondary storyline magnetically. The video clips will behave exactly the same as if they were in the primary storyline, except that you can move the entire set of clips in the secondary storyline exactly as if it were a single connected clip.

fcp songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.