Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should (can I) use OS X Server for user account (simple home network with new 2012 Mountain Lion iMac and late 2006 Intel iMac)?

Hi,

Simple home network ( just an att dsl router) with late-2006 iMac5,1running 10.6.8 and brand new 2012 iMac running Mountain Lion. I have some basic knowledge of network administration but am not very experienced. It sounds like I could fairly readily (without a lot of confusing setup) use OS X server in Mountain Lion on the new iMac to have network user accounts, file sharing, printer sharing. I also understand that the iMac5,1 cannot be upgraded to Mountain Lion. Is it possible to use use the 10.6.8 iMac5,1 machine as a client to OS X server on the new iMac running Mountain Lion? My uncertainty is with one machine with Snow Leopard and the other with Mountain Lion. If the older machine could be upgraded to Mountain Lion I would do that.

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Server

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 1:58 PM

No problem.

Just note that the iMac5.1 is incapable of becoming an OD replica with your Mini (and vice versa).

2 replies

Oct 18, 2012 6:28 PM in response to Mark23

Thanks for your reply.

I believe I got it to work, but,... How do you get the network account users to show up on the login window of the client computer? The login window shows the name of the client computer and the local accounts on the client computer. When I select Other in the login list I can login using a network account user id and it logs in. The network account user names do not show up on the login window

Should (can I) use OS X Server for user account (simple home network with new 2012 Mountain Lion iMac and late 2006 Intel iMac)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.