Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

system appropriate folders & configuration

In the system library I found SUDO, SAMBA, a Mobile-me account I couldn't access (I actually never had one) due to password demand. In the Syst Lib core services I even found 2 finders (one visible the other is apparently unreachable; server scannaer, server agent, and a lot of executable files. In the HD library I found 2 Internet plug-ins and a Java folder with a folder link to Home and one called shared bundle full of links and again another libraries folder (?? ) and JavaVM - I find it all strange; not to say that in my HD I have a suspicious folder called "lost+found, a usr (invisible) with X11 and another bin, full of executables and a tmp folder full od .DM executables and other folders with bizarre names.

I'm lost. And to up it all, I have sometimes my configuration changed. Every time I try to upload from the apple in the bar, I get the same removable Flashback-update, that I never succeed in installing.

How can I get to know the appropriate system folders & the system configuration of a Leopard 5.8 Buil9831a?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 8:59 PM

15 replies

Oct 14, 2012 10:55 PM in response to Socorro-Mac

Socorro-Mac wrote:

In the system library I found SUDO, SAMBA, a Mobile-me account I couldn't access (I actually never had one) due to password demand. In the Syst Lib core services I even found 2 finders (one visible the other is apparently unreachable; server scannaer, server agent, and a lot of executable files. In the HD library I found 2 Internet plug-ins and a Java folder with a folder link to Home and one called shared bundle full of links and again another libraries folder (?? ) and JavaVM - I find it all strange; not to say that in my HD I have a suspicious folder called "lost+found, a usr (invisible) with X11 and another bin, full of executables and a tmp folder full od .DM executables and other folders with bizarre names.

Nothing you have listed sounds unusual to me. Without knowing the exact path to some of what you have listed, I can't really confirm that I have the same files, but I can confirm two Finder files (one an application), ServerScanner and several executables in Core Services (are you sure it's server agent and not SecurityAgent?). Everything about /Library/Java/ is correct. lost+found, urs and X11 are correct as well as the tmp folder.

I'm lost. And to up it all, I have sometimes my configuration changed. Every time I try to upload from the apple in the bar, I get the same removable Flashback-update, that I never succeed in installing.

upload from the apple in the bar? Do you mean Software Update? And is it the Flashback Removal Security Update described at http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1534? What error do you get when you try to install it? Note that it only tells you if it needed to remove Flashback malware, otherwise it just disables your Java plugin and deletes itself, leaving nothing behind. Try starting up in "Safe Mode" (shift key down) and run Software Update. If that doesn't work, download the update from the link I gave you and see if it will install that way.

How can I get to know the appropriate system folders & the system configuration of a Leopard 5.8 Buil9831a?

That's a very tall order. I suspect you are talking about tens of thousands of files. You could install a clean copy on an external hard drive and compare it against what you have, but based on what you have found so far it doesn't seem to be worth the effort.

All that being said, you are running an almost obsolete system. It's still technically supported by Apple, but they haven't updated the OS since Aug 2009 and the last real Security and Java Updates were in June 2011. You need to be running at least OS X 10.6.8 to have sufficient protection against currently circulating malware.

Oct 15, 2012 7:23 AM in response to MadMacs0

Hi Mad Mac !! After installing from the Software Updates (from the bar Apple)

I keep getting similar msgs:

The Installer could not create the folder “/private/tmp/FlashbackRemovalUpdate.pkg.226EnwOHo”.

The Installer could not create the folder “/private/tmp/FlashbackRemovalUpdate.pkg.2263aUu4h”.

The Installer could not create the folder “/private/tmp/FlashbackRemovalUpdate.pkg.22684OwXDet

Oct 15, 2012 10:15 AM in response to Socorro-Mac

Socorro-Mac wrote:

I keep getting similar msgs:

The Installer could not create the folder “/private/tmp/FlashbackRemovalUpdate.pkg.226EnwOHo”.

That's a pretty sure sign that your permissions are incorrect, at least for /private/tmp/.

If you haven't run Disk Utility to repair permissions recently, you need to do that. If that fails, then you will have to replace OS X (hopefully with at least Snow Leopard).

Oct 15, 2012 5:59 PM in response to MadMacs0

Hi Mac Macs!

I've just finished trying to fix the permissions and got a long log file, among it, I got:

2012-10-15 21:41:42 -0300: Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/CodeReso urces", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

2012-10-15 21:41:42 -0300: Permissions differ on "private/tmp", should be drwxrwxrwt , they are drwxr-xr-x .

2012-10-15 21:41:42 -0300: Group differs on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be 80, group is 0.

2012-10-15 21:41:42 -0300: Permissions differ on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r--r-- .

2012-10-15 21:41:42 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "private/var/root/Library/Preferences".

2012-10-15 21:41:42 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "private/var/root/Library".

2012-10-15 21:41:43 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "private/var/root".

2012-10-15 21:41:43 -0300: Group differs on "tmp", should be 80, group is 0.

2012-10-15 21:41:43 -0300: Permissions differ on "tmp", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxrwt .

2012-10-15 21:41:45 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/CannedSearches/All Documents.cannedSearch/Resources/Documents.icns".

2012-10-15 21:41:45 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/CannedSearches/All Documents.cannedSearch/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings".

2012-10-15 21:41:45 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/CannedSearches/All Documents.cannedSearch/Resources/English.lproj".

2012-10-15 21:41:45 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/CannedSearches/All Documents.cannedSearch/search.savedSearch".

2012-10-15 21:41:46 -0300: Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

2012-10-15 21:41:46 -0300: Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

2012-10-15 21:41:46 -0300: Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

2012-10-15 21:41:46 -0300: Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

2012-10-15 21:41:46 -0300: Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

2012-10-15 21:41:46 -0300: Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

2012-10-15 21:41:46 -0300: Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

2012-10-15 21:41:46 -0300: Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

2012-10-15 21:41:46 -0300: Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

2012-10-15 21:41:46 -0300: Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

2012-10-15 21:41:46 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "Users/Shared".

2012-10-15 21:41:51 -0300: Group differs on "private/var/log/cups", should be 0, group is 26.

2012-10-15 21:42:02 -0300: Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

2012-10-15 21:42:17 -0300: Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

-- AND ALSO :

2012-10-15 21:43:47 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/CannedSearches/All Documents.cannedSearch/Resources/Info.plist".

2012-10-15 21:43:47 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/CannedSearches/All Documents.cannedSearch/Resources/version.plist".

2012-10-15 21:43:47 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/CannedSearches/All Documents.cannedSearch/Resources".

2012-10-15 21:43:47 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/CannedSearches/All Documents.cannedSearch".

2012-10-15 21:43:58 -0300: Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/_CodeSignature/CodeResou rces", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .

2012-10-15 21:43:59 -0300: Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DotMacSyncManager.framework/Versions/A/_CodeS ignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .

2012-10-15 21:43:59 -0300: Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DotMacSyncManager.framework/Versions/A/Resour ces/DotMacSyncHelper.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .

2012-10-15 21:43:59 -0300: Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DotMacSyncManager.framework/Versions/A/Resour ces/dotmacsyncui.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .

2012-10-15 21:43:59 -0300: Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DotMacLegacy.framework/Versions/A/_CodeSignat ure/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .

2012-10-15 21:43:59 -0300: Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/C odeDirectory", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .

2012-10-15 21:43:59 -0300: Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/C odeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .

2012-10-15 21:43:59 -0300: Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/C odeSignature", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .

2012-10-15 21:43:59 -0300: Permissions differ on "System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPDisplaysReporter.spreporter/Contents/_CodeSign ature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .

2012-10-15 21:44:00 -0300: Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.

2012-10-15 21:44:00 -0300: Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Oct 15, 2012 10:57 PM in response to Socorro-Mac

Socorro-Mac wrote:

Hi Mac Macs!

I've just finished trying to fix the permissions and got a long log file, among it, I got:

2012-10-15 21:41:42 -0300: Permissions differ on "private/tmp", should be drwxrwxrwt , they are drwxr-xr-x .

That should take care of your Software Update problem. I suspect several of the other ones will help you out, as well. Others should be ignored and Apple has provided a list of many of them at Mac OS X: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore.

The only other thing that could be a problem are the one's that mention ACL's.

2012-10-15 21:41:42 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "private/var/root/Library/Preferences".

2012-10-15 21:41:42 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "private/var/root/Library".

2012-10-15 21:41:43 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "private/var/root".

2012-10-15 21:41:45 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/CannedSearches/All Documents.cannedSearch/Resources/Documents.icns".

2012-10-15 21:41:45 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/CannedSearches/All Documents.cannedSearch/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings".

2012-10-15 21:41:45 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/CannedSearches/All Documents.cannedSearch/Resources/English.lproj".

2012-10-15 21:41:45 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/CannedSearches/All Documents.cannedSearch/search.savedSearch".

2012-10-15 21:41:46 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "Users/Shared".

2012-10-15 21:43:47 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/CannedSearches/All Documents.cannedSearch/Resources/Info.plist".

2012-10-15 21:43:47 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/CannedSearches/All Documents.cannedSearch/Resources/version.plist".

2012-10-15 21:43:47 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/CannedSearches/All Documents.cannedSearch/Resources".

2012-10-15 21:43:47 -0300: ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/CannedSearches/All Documents.cannedSearch".

There's a note at the bottom of the reference above. These are files who's permissions have been augmented in some manner. It's normally done by doing a "Get Info..." on a file, then clicking the lock at the bottom of the "Sharing & Permissions:" section, entering admin password, then changing permissions or clicking the "+" to add a user or group. It's not unusual to find these in a user folder, but two of these are system areas:

• private/var/root
  • System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/CannedSearches/All Documents.cannedSearch
  • Users/Shared

First I would do a get info on each of these to see what has been changed. If you are sure there is something wrong with an entry you can unlock it, highlight the bad entry and click the "-" to remove it. If there this is a directory (folder) then also click on the gear symbol and choose "Apply to enclosed items" then approve the "are you sure" dialog.

Oct 23, 2012 7:38 PM in response to MadMacs0

Hi MadMacs

sorry for the delay. Had problems. Abt you suggestions: thanks again. Abt the "get info": I'd like to know what/who is "Wheel" ? I find it all around in the HD or in the Library. I was told not to do anyth cause it might belong to the system - and connects to apple for updates and so on. But why then, there's another one called System plus the Administrators. Ah! by the way, just to protect me and my docs more, I have disabled administration rights for my account - the one I use. And have created one with administrator rights.

Oct 24, 2012 1:36 PM in response to Socorro-Mac

Socorro-Mac wrote:

I'd like to know what/who is "Wheel" ?

wheel is the Group equivalent of root and normally root is the only memeber of that group. When OS X first came out I used to add myself to the wheel group for convenience in poking around various directories, but that was probably as bad an idea as is running all the time, in that you can do lots of damage to your system if you don't know exactly what you are doing. Now adding anybody to wheel has been made much more difficult.

But why then, there's another one called System plus the Administrators.

System is an owner, not a group and is actually just used to denote root. Administrators is a group to which all users who have been granted admin privileges belongs. So all files are "owned" by somebody and have their own set of permissions for that file, then there is normally a group involved with a separate set of permissions and finally there is "everybody" which represents any user or group that is not directly associated with that file that is granted the third set of permissions. Permissions being primarily some combination of Execute, Write and/or Read or none of those. Normally wheel is used for files owned by system/root and admin is used for files owned by one of the admin users. The former should not normally be used or modified by and admin.

by the way, just to protect me and my docs more, I have disabled administration rights for my account - the one I use. And have created one with administrator rights.

Excellent idea. I wish Apple would follow that model as default, especially with new Mac users.

Oct 25, 2012 2:24 PM in response to MadMacs0

Thanks for all the explanation. Actually I've been using this permissions tools for years, but just for the folder My documents, where some folders have even padlock. I was told that it was better than use FileVault. But the thing is I've been wondering about this "wheel" and since you told me to take a look...

But one thing sounded different: the permissions possibilities that I have when I press -/+ I don't have the administrators. This is only when I open the "get info" but it's different. For instance in the finder>home> "get info" - I obtain up: the admnistrator account name; than my acc name with "(Me)" - this is to identify the account open, as far as I know. Then I have either "group" and below it "everybody" or just "everybody". - It has always sounded perfectly all right for me. The problem was wheell that I asked on the phone and the assistants did not know who/what it was. I asked in the store and nobody knew either. I didn't know what to do. Still afraid of limiting the permissions and provoke a problem.

you know what. It's imcomprehensive that one of the biggest & richest Metropolis in the World does not have an APPLE STORE with the Genius Bar service as we can find in any smaller city in Europe. It is also unforgivable that Apple hasn't yet produced Brazilian patter keyboard yet. And you know what these are the reasons why many of my friends do not have an Apple product yet, specially a DESKTOP. I love apple, but I told myself I'll pnly buy another one, if they open their eyes for that. Otherwise I'll do as my friends: embarg APPLE products. Cause it's uncomprehensive that a city like Rio where almost everybody has a smart phones; many have SAMSUNG tablets and everybody has at least ONE computer at home (poor communities comprised) does NOT have yet an Applestore. Prejudice! Ignorance!! unforgiveable!!

Oct 28, 2012 8:57 PM in response to MadMacs0

Hi Mad Mac,

If you can't answer I do understand. I wish I could find an Apple store to take my machine to and get rid of all that without having to disturb you; but although Rio de Janeiro is one of the richest cities in the world, with a PIB higher than some countries in Europe, It stil does not have an Apple Store. I'll than ask you again; but if you cannot answer or feel tired of me and my questions, that's ok.

I'm trying to understand the HD folders, so I can give them the right permissions or even get rid of some. In much concerned with the 'Private' folder > where there's: "etc; tftboot; tmp; var" folders. In the last one ('var') I found another folder called "folders" with 3 very strange 2 digits folders:"9i"; "p8", "zz" within which there are strange folders. " zz " is the most bizarre one with 8 folders called zzzivhrRNAmviuee++++++ with a combination of letters, numbers and more ++++ And there are other prohibited folders in it (There are plenty in this Private folder").There's another "cups" folder with a protected folder called certs ? 4 executable files one being cupsd.

=> Could you tell me if that is the way it should be ?.

2) Besides wheel, there's "daemon" - why does it have writing permissions? Who/what is it?

3) What's an " _xgridagent " ? "_amavisd " ? ;

4) in the private > most of the folders have "write permission to everybody"? why to everybody?

- private var " definitely has very strange folders!

Thanks in dvance for any answer.

Oct 28, 2012 9:46 PM in response to Socorro-Mac

Socorro-Mac wrote:

I'm trying to understand the HD folders, so I can give them the right permissions or even get rid of some.

Hmmm. Dangerous territory. Disk Utilities "Repair Disk Permissions" does some of it's best work re-setting System permissions, to include the Unix sub-system. Beyond that I have only changed a hand-full that make it easier to view a few key files.

In much concerned with the 'Private' folder > where there's: "etc; tftboot; tmp; var" folders. In the last one ('var') I found another folder called "folders" with 3 very strange 2 digits folders:"9i"; "p8", "zz" within which there are strange folders. " zz " is the most bizarre one with 8 folders called zzzivhrRNAmviuee++++++ with a combination of letters, numbers and more ++++

"folder" is where the majority of the "temp" files end up. Each user and the system has a sub-folder here. There's probably only one where you can see all the contents and that's yours.

There's another "cups" folder with a protected folder called certs ? 4 executable files one being cupsd.

"cups" is the guts of the printing system. I have several, but assume you are talking about the one in /private/var/run/? Mine has a total of seven executables, three put there by Sophos.

2) Besides wheel, there's "daemon" - why does it have writing permissions? Who/what is it?

A group with an ID of 1 used only by root.

3) What's an " _xgridagent " ? "_amavisd " ? ;

_gridagent is a user with an ID of 86. _amavisd is a user with an ID of 83. I'm sure you can find out what they are used for with Google.

4) in the private > most of the folders have "write permission to everybody"? why toeverybody?

Only "tmp" on mine:

drwxr-xr-x+ 98 root wheel 3332 Oct 12 18:21 etc

drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 68 Apr 6 2011 tftpboot

drwxrwxrwt 24 root wheel 816 Oct 28 21:20 tmp

drwxr-xr-x 28 root wheel 952 Apr 6 2011 var

Oct 29, 2012 2:36 AM in response to Socorro-Mac

Socorro-Mac wrote:

I restored again. Then I erased lots of things suspicious and Apps. But the finder stopped working. I had then to restore it again. Now I want a solution for keeps.

All of you troubles look self-inflicted. In future please never remove anything you don't fully understand.

I advise backing up the whole disk to an external disk with Carbon Copy Cloner - use default settings.

Erase your internal disk and do a clean OS install followed by Software Update until it finds no more updates.

If you do a restore from earlier backups you can expect your problems to return - please don't do this. Only manually copy your data (no system files) from the Carbon Copy Cloner backup once you have a fully working OS.

Nov 5, 2012 9:16 AM in response to MadMacs0

Good morning MadMac0 !

I'd like to thank you very very much for all yr help & instructions concerning my updating prblms & reinstalling doubts. It took me a while to learn it all; but I succeeded in fully safe-erasing my iMac-HD; and manually re-installing (from Ext HD CCC) only what I wanted. The only problem I have is with the ITunes. It's NOT working at all. I asked to import the whole folder (as I did with images and movies); but when I tried to open iTunes, it got the window-msg :

< the files "iTunes Library.itl " cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. >

I can't understand it, because I only started docs importation after updating the iMac and verifying it was 5.8. I'm sure it's better updated than it was before when I couldn't updated properly. I went to toolbar>apple>Sofwareupdate - everth was correctly updated. Shouldn't it include iTunes?

Abt my music files, nothing is lost: I immediately tried Quick Time and it could play things well. When I manually downloaded VLC player, I was surprised by the new version of it (very similar to iTunes) which automatically got my whole music folder. Its playing evrything properly well too.

My Question is: What should I do to make iTunes work? Can I reinstall it from the original Apple CD? How?

Thanks for your attention,

Nov 5, 2012 9:21 AM in response to Neville Hillyer

Thank you Neville Hillyer!MadMac0 had already told me abt CCC, but I hesitated. It took me a while to learn it all; but I succeeded in re-installing only what I wanted. The only problem I have is with the ITunes. It's NOT working at all. I asked to import the whole folder (as I did with images and movies); but when I tried to open iTunes, it got the window-msg :

< the files "iTunes Library.itl " cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. >

I can't understand it, because I only started docs importation after updating the iMac and verifying it was 5.8. I'm sure it's better updated than it was before when I couldn't updated properly. I went to toolbar>apple>Sofwareupdate - everth was correctly updated. Shouldn't it include iTunes? Why then, am I getting this msg? And the solutions?

system appropriate folders & configuration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.