Skip navigation

Query: Star Rating Usage

557 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2012 9:27 PM by jrd1993 RSS
Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (11,570 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 14, 2012 9:05 PM

(Added:  I see it's been 18 months since I settled on the now "old" system.)

There are seven ratings in the built-in star rating system: Rejected, Un-rated, and 1- to 5-star. Do you use all of them?  What specifically do they signify?

I'm about to change my long-used rating system in my personal Library.  I had used 1- and 2-star to indicate "saves" and "best of" in a Stack of similar Images while I culled those stacked Images for the one to develop.  I stopped stacking similar Images (to avoid the confusion with Version Stacks, which I use continuously), and so have not used 1- and 2-star ratings for many months.  My ratings had been limited to 3-, 4-, and 5-star, which I used to rate Images per project (keep, good, best).  For Library-wide ratings, I used Keywords (mostly "Portfolio").

Working to renew my portfolio(s) has caused me to rethink this.  I am now likely to bump down my ratings, and make 5-star = "Portfolio".  Like so:

KeepThere are often Images I keep but won't develop.  This let's me know I've decided to keep them, and that I shouldn't delete them. (Example: excellent composition, misplaced focus.)
★★Good for ProjectThese have a potential use within the Project.  In essence: development potential.
★★★Superior in ProjectDevelop these!  Will likely be used.
★★★★Portfolio NomineeThese I want to consider adding to my Portfolio.  I actually keep several portfolios, distinct by genre, or sometimes type (Grayscale flowers, for instance).  This is a Library-wide rating.
★★★★★Portfolio SelectionThese won't be marked in the Projects, but rather in the Smart Albums that collect developed nominated Images.  This, too, is a Library-wide rating.

Imported Images are unrated.  Then, on a per-Project basis, they get either rejected, or rated 1-, 2-, or 3-star.  Developed Images which are exceptional get bumped to 4-star status.  I have Smart Albums that collect all 4-star Images by genre.  From here I will upgrade Images to 5-star (= "in Portfolio").  Or from the 5-star Smart Album, I'll downgrade ones to 4-star when needed.

Before I implement this system, I like to hear how you use the built-in star ratings.  Thanks in advance  .

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion, 16 GB RAM; 500 GB SSD; NEC; Munki
  • léonie Level 8 Level 8 (46,475 points)
    Oct 14, 2012 11:48 PM (in response to Kirby Krieger)

Kirby,

I like your list and the categories you have chosen for the ratings i.e. the clear distinction of ratings within project and portifolio.

My use of (final) ratings is similar, but I did not put in so precise words as you did. My ratings change over and over again, while I am working with the images.

During the first few month, while I am still working solely on one project, all ratings are relative to the project. 

• When first browsing the images the ratings are quick and intuitive:
        • Reject (techically bad,delete immediately),
        • 1 - (techically bad, but keep, wait and see, if it is not the only picture of the bear, the lion, or a very special moment),
        • 2 - o.k., but boring,
        • 3 - o.k., and there is something I like, needs a lot of work
        • 4  - great picture, but there is a still better one, keep it for the screen saver for variety
        • 5 - wow - I like it the first time I see it, show it off in collections
      • Usually the really good images start off with the rating 5 and are downgraded, when I see more pictures and have looked closely at details. This is the phase, when I use stacks of similar images. Redundant images in the categories 1, 2, or 3 will be deleted, many 5s will be downgraded to 4.  Continue, until all stacks of similar images only contain one image.
      • When I start to use the new images in library wide projects and compare them to other images, I downgrade more 5s to 4s, start to use version stacks, and all other rating is done by using keywords: slideshow, weg gallery, book, screensaver, wallpaper

Regards

Léonie

• jrd1993 Calculating status...
    Oct 15, 2012 9:27 PM (in response to Kirby Krieger)

I do. I work for my college newspaper shooting photos.

Upon import, I rate everything as one star. I then do a pass and rate ones that I think are good as two starred. From there I further edit the two starred to three starred. These three starred then get treatment with Nik Define and Photoshop. From here, I pick my favorites and give them four stars. At the end of the year, I pick my favorite photos and they get five stars.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.