Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My factory unlocked iPhone (AT&T) doesn't recognize my SIM card

Fellow Apple users,

I recently got my iPhone factory unlocked by filling the AT&T online iPhone unlock request form. I got a confirmation email from then & I waited 24 hours before doing a restore on my phone.

It tool me some time to upgrade to latest iTunes on my machine & latest iOS on my phone. All wen well until I reached the iPhone configuration wizard. After setting the language, region & Wi-Fi connection, attempts to activate the iPhone times out while contacting the Apple servers. I tried connecting through iTunes as well but it's been consitently throwing an error -

"There is no SIM installed in the iPhone you are attempting to activate. Please disconnect & insert a SIM card in your phone".

I tried disconnecting & reconnecting multiple times but with no luck.

Have any of you faced this issue & know how to get out of this? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Shaz L.

iPhone 3GS

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 8:31 PM

23 replies

Oct 14, 2012 8:43 PM in response to gdgmacguy

Hi Gdgmacguy,

Thanks for your response. I did restore my phone with iTunes. I won't mind doing it again (to ensure if I did it the worng way before) but the problem is that when I connect to iTunes now, it doesn't give me any option other than to Eject the phone after giving the above mentioned "No Sim' error.

Also on the phone, it keeps on searching for the carrier & then finally displays "No Service" at the left top. Also, it allows me to configure the phone till the point it tries to activate my iPhone where it times out & there is nothing I can do further.

Some extra information if it may help - i bought my 3gs in USA from AT&T & now trying to use it in India with an Indian carrier.

Regards,

Shaz L.

Oct 17, 2012 8:21 AM in response to AnaMusic

Hi AnaMusic,

I wish I could see my Home Screen. I followed the steps as mentioned in your second link about unlocking (mentioned below) -

1. Ensure that you've waited the recommended wait period provided by your carrier.
  2. Back up your iPhone.
  3. Erase the contents of your iPhone.
  4. Swap the old SIM card with the one for the new carrier.
  5. Complete the setup assistant and restore your backup.

Only thing that I have not done (not sure if that matters) is the part where it says swap the old sim card with new one. I did not have my old sim card so I had my new sim in the phone all the time during the restore. When it didn't work I tried to do a restore once again in recovery mode without the sim & then inserted when asked.

None of the above stesp worked for me. Is it mandatory to have the old sim (AT&T in my case) to complete the unlock?

Let me know.

Regards,

Shashi

Oct 18, 2012 7:47 AM in response to AnaMusic

Hi Anamusic,

As it's a matter of my iPhone, I just want to make sure if your last response is just a guess or it's really the only way it can be done. I somehow find this point not so relevant.

If the above is anyway true then do you know of an alternate option because there is no way I can get my AT&T sim now.

Let me know.

Regards,

Shaz L.

Jan 24, 2013 8:19 PM in response to Shaz L

Hi, I believe I have the same ihone and os as u. I also had the problem of it being recognized by the latest version of iTunes. The reason on my phone was that I hadn't used it or had it active for a few years and hadn't been updated along with iTunes thus iTunes newer version didn't recognize it. My solution was to take an old computer out of mothballs that I had and that had an older version of Itunes on it. It was instantly recognized and I was able to get to the Congratulations page, ( congratulations you have successfully unlocked your iPhone). One thing though, if you find an old version resist the prompt to update iTunes for if you update it you'll lose your only chance to have it recognized Good luck, I hope this helps. Robert

My factory unlocked iPhone (AT&T) doesn't recognize my SIM card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.