Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 3rd Gen. Video freeze but audio continues.

Just purchased two movies from Apple TV. Both plays for around 30 mins then video freezes but audio continues to play. Had to go back to movie page and 'Play' again to get it working. After a while it does the same thing. Is it the defective device? I have 20mb internet connection so download speed shouldn't be an issue right?

Apple TV, iOS 5.1

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 7:41 AM

3 replies

Feb 17, 2014 1:45 PM in response to justinwa

Similar problem, watching movie on ATV, video freezes while audio continues. If start movie again from beginning and fast forward will get a black screen around same point. I tried watching same movie from iTunes on my Mac, with same problem, so didn’t appear to be the ATV. Then I tried watching the movie without iTunes, using QuickTime Player 7 Pro, and got ’QuickTime couldn’t open movie - an invalid public movie atom was found in the movie.’ Then I tried using QT Player 10, and movie opened and played, but then froze at the same point. Then I tried using VLC and the movie played fine, with no problems. So in my case it appears to be a QT issue, not the ATV. My movies are usually .avi or other, converted to H.264 mp4/m4v using Handbrake. I’d be interested to know if anyone else having these problems on their ATV encounters the same problem using QT outside of iTunes, and then has the movie play fine with VLC.

Apple TV 3rd Gen. Video freeze but audio continues.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.