Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Streaming Audio is terrible on iPhone 5

Since I can't seem to find anything on the Apple Support forums, I've decided to mention this here. There is a thread on Macrumors also mentioning this issue.

Basically I went from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5 and switched carriers from AT&T to Verizon. Since then trying to stream audio using iheartradio, the web, or my lex and terry app has been almost useless. Using my lex and terry app is pointless. It just constantly cuts out after a minute. iHeartradio basically goes in and out very frequently.

I considered the problem was Verizon but it appears others on differant networks are having similiar issues. Just to be clear I'm using aux for sound, not bluetooth.

If anyone can help find the root of this problem it would be appreciated. I'm mostly questioning the hardware and OS at this point. Also a potential issues with the API the developers use. Meaning possibly the apps just need updated to support new APIs in iOS6.

If Apple could chime in that would be awesome as well.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 6:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 7:13 AM

I have experienced the exact same problem. Was using a iPhone 3GS with a cracked screen that had been dropped numerous times and I had an almost flawless streaming audio experience listening to radio on a variety of apps.

I switched to iPhone 5 and to a new carrier (went from Rogers to Bell here in Canada) now my streams constantly cut out after a minute or two. I don't think it has ever played constantly for more then maybe 10 minutes which makes it incredibly annoying.

Please fix this ASAP apple!

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2012 7:13 AM in response to kingzope

I have experienced the exact same problem. Was using a iPhone 3GS with a cracked screen that had been dropped numerous times and I had an almost flawless streaming audio experience listening to radio on a variety of apps.

I switched to iPhone 5 and to a new carrier (went from Rogers to Bell here in Canada) now my streams constantly cut out after a minute or two. I don't think it has ever played constantly for more then maybe 10 minutes which makes it incredibly annoying.

Please fix this ASAP apple!

Oct 16, 2012 7:57 AM in response to Ralph9430

That's kind of what I'm thinking. If the APIs changed it could cause this. The two apps I've noticed this issue on was iHeartRadio and the Lex & Terry app. On the one hand the Lex & Terry app hasn't been updated in a very long time which could support the app being the problem. On the other hand iHeartRadio is a pretty popular app. You'd think they'd have it fixed but iHeartRadio hasn't had an update since Sep 6th so that also supports a need for an iOS 6 update.

Oct 19, 2012 8:21 AM in response to kingzope

OK ... my experience w/this issue (and I'm a heavy in-car streaming audio who has experienced the same issues):

* The new iHeartRadio app didn't seem to provide any relief. I was buffering repeatedly (LTE) almost immediately after leaving the house (in-car)

* Switching down to 3G (Verizon) seems to solve the problem. Both times I have tried, I have one quick buffering episode - and then the streaming works fine from there on

* My Galaxy 3S is working fine w/LTE (also Verizon)

So (and I'm a little out of my techie league here) ... this appears to be an issue with the iPhone 5 and LTE. Unfortunately - from my test this morning - it doesn't appear as if there are app-specific fixes.

Jan 4, 2013 8:58 PM in response to sirjoseph

I'm having similar problems with a bit of a twist; my streaming of Pandora and Sirius XM are fine when streaming through bluetooth but if I use the lightning adapter to connect to my iHome of Bose sound dock the audio will lock up after about 30 seconds. If I pull the phone off of the dock it will restart (on the next song with Pandora, where the interruption ocurred with Sirius XM) and will continue to play for a few seconds (but never more than a full song on Pandora) before locking up again. This is driving me crazy!

May 6, 2013 10:18 PM in response to kingzope

Just got an iPhone 5... (now on iOS 6.1.4)... Great device, but just has the internet radio wi-fi streaming problem as orignially described in the first post.... this happens for me with several radio streaming supporting apps.... bummer..... all worked fine on previous iPhone 4 (AT&T network)...... just seems to be buffering alot after maybe a minute or so of running.... bummer (again)

Streaming Audio is terrible on iPhone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.