Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Renting and downloading movies from iTunes

Ideally I'd like to gift a movie rental to someone, but am I right in thinking this is not possible? To gift a movie, I'd have to actually buy it, rather than rent it?

If this is the case, here's what I'd like to do, and wondered if someone could give me a bit of advice on the matter: I'd like to pay for a movie rental in iTunes on my computer, and then let my neice (who uses the same iTunes account on her iPad) download that rented movie. The difficulty is that she can't bring her iPad to my computer to transfer it via USB cable or a Wi-Fi transfer.

If I pay for the movie rental on my computer, will iTunes automatically begin downloading the film? If so, can it still be transferred to the iPad without syncing the iPad to my computer? Or can I pay for the rental on my computer without it downloading, so it's available for my neice to download directly to her iPad?

All advice is very welcome. Thanks in advance!

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 8:43 AM

1 reply

Oct 15, 2012 8:48 AM in response to graffitiwriter

I am not an expert on movie rentals but I think the answer will be an across the board "no" to your questions. Rentals are doubly complicated since they cannot be downloaded more than once, and you can't buy it on one device for downloading on another later. Then too there would be the whole authorization issue and access to your account.

Renting and downloading movies from iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.