Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Active Directory & Home Folders

Would anyone mind posting their successful path to getting the AD "Golden Triangle" Setup going with 10.8 Mountain Lion Server? I've gotten through most of it myself and I plan to document and post my process but I'm finding that my current setup for mobile home folders isn't quite right.

I've seen a fair number of people post wildly different stories on what they've gotten working. There are also many reports that portable home folders are broken in the 10.8.2 profile manager and you need to use workgroup manager to deploy the setting successfully.

As well, if anyone has actually managed to distribute an AD Directory binding through a profile i'd love to hear about it. Right now it looks like my process to getting systems directory bound is going to include manually joining them to the directory because it seems the Directory profile can only get the system to join Open Directory networks.

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 8:49 AM

2 replies

Oct 17, 2012 8:32 AM in response to AFrangisPopCap

Hi,

I am having some odd behaviour with my OD AD set-up on 10.8.2. I would be grateful if you could let me know how you have ordered your bindings.

I plan to use OD only to manage preferences via WGM.

So far I set up OD on the server, and then bound the server to AD. I can see all AD users and groups in WGM

do I need to change kerberos? is this the correct order?

One thing I am finding is that when I restart a mac i get the amber orb saying some network accounts are unavailable. If i log in locally>users>login options: I see both servers available with green dots. I log out and all is well. It's a bit hit and miss.

When it does work preferences are delivered but I cannot get the network home icon to display in the dock. If you go to finder and click on 'home' the AD docs folder is available.

I would really appreciate it if you have any links or could share some of your experience.

both server and macs are 10.8.2 and we use server 2008 R2, which deals with DHCP and DNS. All users are AD accounts except the mac server account.

DNS names resolve ok.

DHCP and DNS sre stopped on the mac server.

Cheers 😕

Active Directory & Home Folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.