Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bottom RAM slot not working in mid-2010 mini

Hello: The bottom slot (closest to the motherboard) is not working on my mid-2010 Mac Mini.

• I've self-installed a 128GB SSD... a pretty easy upgrade

• Attempts to max out the RAM to 4GB (x2) failed.

• I've tried PNY and Kingston paired memory chips (1066 MHz PC3-8500 DDR3 SO-DIMM 1.5V).

• As a single chip (4GB), both brands work fine in the top slot.

• As a single chip (4GB), both brands give the no-RAM beep in the bottom slot.

• Installed as pairs, 1/2 the time = no-RAM beep... 1/2 the time = a short working life before kernel panic (or odd finder-restart)

• The original chips were given away, so I can't test with those.

• Firmware has been updated and I'm running 10.8.2. Everything's up to date.

Has anyone had such an issue? The problem seems isolated to the bottom slot. I'd like to keep the machine -- and 4GB isn't terrible -- but I'd like to get both slots working. Would a repair seem prudent/cost-effective?

Thanks for any wisdom you can lend (or links to past posts... I searched).

--

FWIW/background: This is a never-used old-stock unit purchased through a reseller a year or so ago and now just put into service... so warranty claims are out the window, I'd guess -- especially with the SSD self-upgrade. I bought this unit to replace an older (2007) Mini that was being used as a media server... the disappearance of the optical drive in the latest units (but with the same case size) made the search for a mid-2010 unit with the optical drive a logical choice.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), mid-2010

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 9:33 AM

5 replies

Jun 25, 2013 11:22 AM in response to Hunter Wimmer

What worked with me with 2 x 4GB ram from OWC:

1) Remove stock/old RAM from both slots.

2) Inserted new stick of 4GB ram on top slot (in my case, this slot had no problem recognizing the new sticks).

3) Leave the "buggy" RAM slot open.

4) Start the mac mini up, performing the NV/PRAM reset (holding down Option + Command + P + R)

5) When OS X boots up, shut down the mac mini.

6) Insert the other stick of 4GB in the buggy ram slot.

7) Restart the mac mini normally, not holding down any keys (normal boot).

8) Profit

Absolutely sailing on 8GB of OWC ram now. Sure, I've pulled hair out, RMA'd probably perfectly fine RAM with Newegg, and still clench when I restart the machine, but hey. This thing wasn't really meant to be opened, right?

;-)

Bottom RAM slot not working in mid-2010 mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.