Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD look terrible

I'm currently working in a 1920x1080 HDTV1080i (16:9) sequence. My other settings are as follows:

Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square

Field Dominance: None

Editing timebase 29.97

Compressor: Apple ProRes 422

My footage was shot on XDcam frame size 1920x1080, 1080p30, 29.97 and then transcoded to ProRes422.

When I render out a reference video (with "same as"unchecked) for use in DVD Studio Pro, and then go to compressor to create a M2v, (90 min, best quality), the m2v looks horrific? Is that just the nature of the beast when down converting or is there some other workflow I should try to get the best results possible?

The DVD has some terrible stair stepping. Viewed both on a computer monitor, then a flat screen TV.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 9:59 AM

10 replies

Oct 15, 2012 3:54 PM in response to Michael Grenadier

Michael,

Thank you for your help. I did try De-Interlace and that looked worse, I'm sure it's progressive from start to finish as well. While I applaud your idea to send a clip, It just so happens I'm out of the office right now and am unable to do so. I"ll keep trying different techniques and if am finally sucessful, I will post the workflow to perhaps help others having similar problems.

J

Oct 16, 2012 11:04 PM in response to 30framesasecond

try this: make a new timeline/sequence with settings as above (SD). open your final HD 1920x1080 sequence/timeline and select all (cmd+a), the copy all content (cmd+v) into the new SD seqence.

then just render all in the new sequence an output that file. you should have an excellent looking file.

(this description was show on the FCP guru, Ken Stones website, i have tried it and it works). -:)

DVD look terrible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.