Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

printer unable to convert postscript file

After I upgraded to Mountain Lion OSX 10.8.2 I can't print PDF files because the printer is unable to convert postscript files. I have updated the printer's driver (HP Officejet 6600) and installed the newest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. I don't know what else can I do. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Hector

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 5:45 PM

Looking at the specifications for this printer, there is no mention of it supporting Postscript. So it will not be the printer that needs to convert the incoming PS spool file, but the printer driver and operating system to rasterise the PDF or PS file. So when you attempt to print from Acrobat or Preview, what happens? Do you get an error or does the file print incorrectly?

For PDFs that do not print correctly, one workaround you can do with Acrobat is to open the Advanced menu from the Acrobat print dialog and select Print As Image. The quality of the printed document can differ compared to when printed normally, but at least it allows you to print a PDF that errors sometimes.

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2012 5:45 PM in response to hsantaella

Looking at the specifications for this printer, there is no mention of it supporting Postscript. So it will not be the printer that needs to convert the incoming PS spool file, but the printer driver and operating system to rasterise the PDF or PS file. So when you attempt to print from Acrobat or Preview, what happens? Do you get an error or does the file print incorrectly?

For PDFs that do not print correctly, one workaround you can do with Acrobat is to open the Advanced menu from the Acrobat print dialog and select Print As Image. The quality of the printed document can differ compared to when printed normally, but at least it allows you to print a PDF that errors sometimes.

Oct 16, 2012 8:26 AM in response to PAHU

Thanks to you all for your replies. To give you a bit more background: I was able to print PDFs from Acrobat Reader before upgrading to OSX 10.8.2. I also ran the software updates. I'm also able to print from preview so that should rule out a problem with the printer.

However, after the upgrade, the printer can't print because it's "unable to convert postscript file". Again, this is when printing directly from Acrobat Reader.

Printing as Print as Image also works.

Hoping that this makes sense and gives you enough information to propose a solution to my problem.

Regards,

Nov 10, 2012 10:31 AM in response to hsantaella

I am having similar problems, and I think that this is an Adobe issue and not an Apple issue. I have been trying to print off PDF documents that have been scanned with our printer/scanner/copier/fax machine at work. The machine sends the scanned documents as PDFs to selected email addresses.

I have my email client set up to use Adobe Acrobat to open and print PDF files. I am running OS X 10.8.2 and Adobe Acrobat Pro 11.0.0. I'm using Postbox as my email client, but that is unimportant since I am opening the files from from the Downloads directory directly.

I can print these PDFs okay when I print using Preview. When I try to print them using Adobe Acrobat Pro, I get the "unable to convert Postscript file" error, and I get this error whether printing to my HP Color Laserjet 2600N or my Canon MX510.

To me, this indicates two possibilities:

Apple has done something (likely inadvertantly) to prevent printing Postscript files using anything but Preview, or (in my opion more likely)

Adobe has some bug in their Acrobat products that prevents printing of Postscript files under ML.

Cheers,

hussar

Jan 8, 2013 12:08 PM in response to hsantaella

I've been having similar problems today with my Brother HL-4570CDW.

I haven't needed to print in a couple of weeks. Everything was working fine with 10.8. Suddenly with 10.8.2 (or perhaps that Brother driver update Apple pushed recently??) I cannot print correctly from Acrobat. I can still print from Pages, TextEdit, Preview. Unfortunately sometimes PDFs don't display right in Acrobat (fillable PDFs for example) and I need to be able to print from Acrobat.

I kept getting errors like "filter failed" and "opening raster file failed".

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the printer and the drivers, to no avail.

I did previously install Brother's BR-Script driver, and today I created a duplicate printer using that driver and was able to print from Acrobat then – but that driver appears to be generic (with fewer features in the Print dialogue box) compared to the CUPS driver.

May 15, 2013 7:13 AM in response to hsantaella

Someone I'm helping to set up a print station is plagued by this too and is forced to print out of preview because "printer is unable to convert postscript files" in Acrobat.

I'm actually happily running 10.6.8 on my macbook pro because I didn't want to deal with the new os x and I'm fearing the day I have to "up" grade.

At any rate, I hope this Adobe/Apple issue is resolved before then!

May 16, 2013 11:10 AM in response to hsantaella

Do you have Java installed?

I seem to recall that I was able to solve this problem by installing Java. If you don't have Java installed, do a web search on "apple mountain lion java." You should see an Apple site with the latest Java release (as of 16 April 13 as I am posting this). After you install Java, you may have to re-install Acrobat or Acrobat Reader.

printer unable to convert postscript file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.