Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio input levels distorted using Propellorhead Balance Soundcard.

Hi

I've been using a Propellorhead Balance soundcard (fairly high end) with Garage Band for about a year and have been a Garage Band user for about three years...I have to say I like the simplicity of the app and having tried other more 'professional' programs have always come back to Garage Band for it's ease of use, I've had my macbook pro for just over two years now (doh!)

I've always had nice high input volumes and a clean sound from the card in any case. For the last couple of days when I apply the same input settings I've been using for the last year I've mysteriously started getting low recording levels/waveforms and when I play back the recording is distorted. Output on pre-existing recordings or any of the built in instruments is fine.

I worried that it was either my mic (I use a Rode NT1000 studio mic) or my Soundcard (Propellorhead Balance) but that wasn't it as when I tried both on my mate's Mac Air through Garage Band the results were as I used to achieve...very good. I also tried plugging my Yamaha Compass series acoustic directly into the soundcard and I have the same issue through the guitar input over the mic input. Finally I just upgraded Garage Band '08 to Garage Band '11 but it made no difference which makes me worry it's a hardware issue somehow.

So I've worked out it's not the card or any of the instruments I plug in so it's either Garage Band or the mac....anyone had the same issue?

Hoping you have and found a way to fix it...my warranty is up on my mac (MacBookPro7,1)

RT

GarageBand (Mac) '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 12:03 PM

1 reply

Oct 21, 2012 6:06 AM in response to rotorro

So an update for anyone else reading this. I upgraded to latest version of Garage Band as well as updating my OS from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. These were nice upgrades in and of themselves and came with some cool benefits...my mac works faster now for example. However in terms of fixing this issue it did nothing. Finally I recalled the loan of my M-Audio Fastrack soundcard from a friend and that definitely fixed the issue...input levels high and undistorted. So therefore I can only deduce that there is a compatibility issue/bug with the Propellorhead card and Garage Band. I will be launching a separate line of enquiry through Propellorhead and will provide updates when I have them. In the meantime I'll have to live with the noisier (but livelier) sound I can get out of the Fastrack.

Audio input levels distorted using Propellorhead Balance Soundcard.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.