Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari 6.0.1 still leaking a rediculous amount of memory

I love Safari for Mac.

But this memory leak issue has left me with no choice but to switch to Chrome.

Running Lion on a Macbook Air with just 2GBs of RAM (I didn't know Air's RAM couldn't be upgraded when I bought it), Safari is literally impossible to use.

According to the Activity Monitor app in my Utilities folder, "Safari Web Content" and "Safari" combined use a Gigabyte of RAM on average!

Other posts I've read either say upgrading to 6.0.1 resolved the leak, or deleting an addon/extension fixed it.

I turned off all my extensions, but the Monitor showed the same results.

Someone mentioned an app called FastTube that was silently eating up RAM, but I double-checked and I have nothing on my hard drive by that name. But now I'm wondering if there was some app I installed once and then forgot about which may have installed something into Safari that is now quietly eating up half my RAM.

If I downloaded and reinstalled Safari, would that disconnect any 3rd pary leecher apps? Would I need to delete my Safari preferences? If so, how do I do that without losing my bookmarks and such?

Any ideas?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 13"

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 3:32 PM

There are no replies.

safari 6.0.1 still leaking a rediculous amount of memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.