Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight doesn't stop indexing

Hi guys,

Every time I start my iMac (everything up to date, Mac OS X 10.8.2) Spotlight starts calculating the time it will take to complete the indexing. And it takes many, many hours until it actually starts indexing - today I waited 15 hours, then shut the indexing of, restarted the SystemUIServer and waited again maybe 6 hours of calculating the time. Now Spotlight actually startet the indexing; I had that one or two times but then shut my computer off since I had to go to bed, now I'll keep it on to see what happens. I'll post tomorrow what happened, but that Spotlight takes so long to start indexing is a problem that shouldn't be and that should be mentioned and fixed.

Greetings,

Jannis

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iMac 2007

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 4:40 PM

15 replies

Oct 15, 2012 5:20 PM in response to Nikkiflausch

Hello, see how many of these you can answer...

See if the Disk is issuing any S.M.A.R.T errors in Disk Utility...

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH7029

Open Activity Monitor in Applications>Utilities, select All Processes & sort on CPU%, any indications there?

How much RAM & free space do you have also, click on the Memory & Disk Usage Tabs.

Open Console in Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.

In the Memory tab, are there a lot of Pageouts?

User uploaded file

Oct 15, 2012 6:35 PM in response to Nikkiflausch

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of this test is to determine whether your problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode* and log in to the account with the problem. The instructions provided by Apple are as follows:

1. Shut down your computer, wait 30 seconds, and then hold down the shift key while pressing the power button.
  2. When you see the gray Apple logo, release the shift key.
  3. If you are prompted to log in, type your password, and then hold down the shift key again as you click Log in.

*Note: If FileVault is enabled under OS X 10.7 or later, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t boot in safe mode.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including wireless networking on certain Macs.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Oct 15, 2012 11:35 PM in response to Linc Davis

S.M.A.R.T.-status is checked.

Nothing noticable in the activity monitor.

I have 250 GB of disk space of which 30 GB are free.

I have 3 GB Ram.

The Console has some messages that are repeating; since the error is omnipotent I can't say which of them is the one that causes the error. If I filter by the string "SystemUIServer" I don't have any errors; one of the most noticable errors are

Jannis-iMac.local SIMBL Enabler for Sandboxed Apps[54380]: Set up watching for containers directory at URL file://localhost/Users/jannis/Library/Containers/

and

Jannis-iMac kernel[0]: 3862 ASYNC INCOMING TCP conStatus:0 flags:0 ->from:[some IP starting with 10.85.; changes with every error message]

I got Afloat installed which works as I know only with the windows of SIMBL-apps, but I don't use it's function very often and I tested that the error message has nothing to do with the using of some of Afloat's functions.

Both messages seem to have no pattern, sometimes they don't come up for ten minutes. The first one is repeating itself 1 or 2 times in a minute then, the second one 10 times in 5 seconds.

Last repeating thing are

Jannis-iMac kernel[0]: Sandbox: sandboxd(54443) deny mach-lookup com.apple.coresymbolicationd

and

Jannis-iMac.local sandboxd[54443] ([54442]): mdworker(54442) deny mach-lookup com.apple.ls.boxd

I got 6,24 GB of page outs (0 byte/s). If that's important, I have 13,06 GB of page ins too, and 4,36 GB used swaps.

For the diagnostic test: Should I also remove the 2 GB extra RAM I purchased for the Mac when I got it and always used? In fact, I think I never booted the iMac without it and never before had such a problem as far as I can remember.

FileVault is deactivated, I just cipher my Time Machine Backups. I'll run the test when I'm home again.

Oct 16, 2012 12:04 AM in response to Nikkiflausch

Page ins arent important, but that many Pageouts points to a problem in that length of time.

One way to test is to Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, Test for problem in Safe Mode...

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive

Reboot, test again.

If it only does it in Regular Boot, then it could be some hardware problem like Video card, (Quartz is turned off in Safe Mode), or Airport, or some USB or Firewire device, or 3rd party add-on, Check System Preferences>Accounts>Login Items window to see if it or something relevant is listed.

Check the System Preferences>Other Row, for 3rd party Pref Panes.

Also look in these if they exist, some are invisible...

/private/var/run/StartupItems

/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/LaunchDaemons

Oct 16, 2012 3:37 PM in response to BDAqua

First of all, starting in Safe Mode somehow did solve my problem and in the same time it didn't. That's because in safe mode, you simple can't use Spotlight - or at least you don't find a single entry with it. That means Spotlight isn't indexing or calculating the time needed for it - but since spotlight seems to be shut off completely that doesn't mean anything. That also means I can't use the safe mode to find the problem.

Above that, I also have a problem with the time machine, it takes hours to make a backup (this -> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4436120 thread) but that was solved somehow with the Safe Mode.

There is no StartupItems-folder or -file in /private/var/run/, in /Library/StartupItems there is EyeConnect, no files in /System/Library/StartupItems, 229 files in /System/Library/LaunchDaemons (shall I list them all here?) and 8 files in /Library/LaunchDaemons: at.obdev.littlesnitchd.plist, com.adobe.fpsaud.plist, com.freemacsoft.appcleanerd.plist, com.radiosilenceapp.nke.PrivateEye.plist, com.timesoftware.timemachineeditor.backup-auto.plist, com.timesoftware.timemachineeditor.helper.plist, org.freedesktop.dbus-system.plist (this file is an alias) and org.macosforge.xquartz.privileged_startx.plist.

I use Little Snitch, adobe is probably for the flash player, I use AppCleaner, time Machine Editor and xQuartz. I don't know what the other entries are, could someone explain? I'd delete them if they aren't needed by any program I use. I think i recognize PrivatEye as a program which I installed once and deleted shortly after that, so I can at least delete this, but what's freedesktop.dbus-system?

As 3rd party PreferencePanes I have DivX, Flash Player, Flip4Mac, MacFUSE (Tuxera), Perian and Secrets (which I just use to always show the tab bar in Safari).

Oct 16, 2012 8:22 PM in response to BDAqua

Wow, thanks. Editing the two mdworker-files and emptying var/folders worked for me, booting much faster now. Now I have another problem: Spotlight switches between indexing (with the little dot in the icon) and not indexing, but not finding anything. There are some entries, but they are all irrelevant for me, they come from my external drive, music library or game folders - I can't see any pattern except all searchable entries are some sort of files, no programs. At first the terminal said the Spotlight Server was disabled, that isn't the case anymore, but the switching between indexing and not indexing keeps being existent and annoying. I'll sleep over it and look at it again tomorrow.

Oct 16, 2012 9:51 PM in response to Nikkiflausch

It could take a day or two for i to complete.

I've actually disabled it on most of my Macs & use other search Apps, just have Spolight on a couple to help with i'ts problems.

Find Any File...

http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

Hold Option or alt key when selecting Find to Find All.

EasyFind...

http://www.devon-technologies.com/download/

Near the bottom of the page.

May 31, 2013 9:37 AM in response to Nikkiflausch

I've been having the same issue.

In my case, after a lot of "general observation" I've come to the conclusion that my mac is forced to index endlessly while dropbox is syncing. Normally, dropbox does its thing and then sits still.. .but recently I noticed that my Dbox account was hanging on a "permissions" issue... and while it was stuck on hold, trying to update past a locked permission... the indexing ALSO got hung up... and the mac was really really stuck in mud.

So... just an idea... if you're stuck with spotlight/indexing running TOO mush... take a look at your dropbox (or other sync service) to see if

a) they are hung in a loop or

b) they represent a huge "external volume" that your mac is trying to index through a relatively small peephole.

Spotlight doesn't stop indexing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.