Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can aperture 3 convert a gray scale photo into a line drawing?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 9:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 11:31 PM

Do you mean a line drawing of the contours or a kind of pencil sketch?

There s no built-in command in Aperture to do either. For operations that go beyond adjusting an image to perfection you use plug-ins or external editors.

For example:

An original image and the results of using the Toonit!-plug-in, the Quartz composition filter "Color pencil", and "Edge detection" in Adobe Photoshop - left to right:

User uploaded file

Regards

Léonie

If you really want to do it in Aperture, you can try to play around with the "Curves" adjustment and map all but a few intensity values to the color of the lines that you want, but that would be hard work. Just to give you an idea:

User uploaded file

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2012 11:31 PM in response to jimmyjackcorn

Do you mean a line drawing of the contours or a kind of pencil sketch?

There s no built-in command in Aperture to do either. For operations that go beyond adjusting an image to perfection you use plug-ins or external editors.

For example:

An original image and the results of using the Toonit!-plug-in, the Quartz composition filter "Color pencil", and "Edge detection" in Adobe Photoshop - left to right:

User uploaded file

Regards

Léonie

If you really want to do it in Aperture, you can try to play around with the "Curves" adjustment and map all but a few intensity values to the color of the lines that you want, but that would be hard work. Just to give you an idea:

User uploaded file

Oct 16, 2012 3:24 AM in response to léonie

A better(?) example of extracting lines and object contours in Aperture with the "Curves" adjustment:

User uploaded file

In this case the background is lighter than the statue in the foreground. The histogram shows two distinctive peaks - one for the lighter background pixels and one for the dark pixels of the statue,

To extract the contours as dark lines on a white background, you will have to map the pixels in the valley between these two peaks to "Black" and all other pixels to "White". Set the channel to "RGB" an drag the curve in the valley down to zero and outside this reagion up to 255 (White). The curve will wiggle a lot, so will have to use many points along the curve to tame it.

Oct 16, 2012 1:09 PM in response to jimmyjackcorn

jimmyjackcorn wrote:

And now that this thread is answered, a small plea: a line drawing is made by hand. My hands have made them. My computer has not. It cannot. Honestly -- anyone who mistakes photos converted to "line drawings" or "watercolors" or "paintings" is simply ignorant. That such ignorance is now accepted does not excuse it.

Here is a good short piece on drawing, with many excellent illustrations.

The phrase I suggest the OP use is "line art". This is a graphics term. Line art is to drawing what clip art is to painting.

End of plea. Thanks for your attention.

Oct 17, 2012 11:47 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

I have a B.F.A. degree in painting which educated me in the "history of art" with appreciation of the old masters. I agree with your statement that, "anyone mistaking photos converted to "line drawings, watercolors,or paintings" is simply ignorant" and that, "line art is to drawing what clip art is to painting."

I appreciate your passion and love for keeping "visual creativity" true to its inherant nature. Expressing your views however, in regard to my question in this thread, is irrelevant to the question asked. I am not ignorant. My question has nothing to do with the philosophy of art. You have no idea what project I have in mind for asking my original question. I suggest that perhaps you have chosen the wrong forum to express your views. Sticking to the question asked, as the other participants have, has been most helpful to me and I appreciate their response.

Thanks for your attention.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.