Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

me.com iChat & Messages , 10.7.5

So , hello everybody . How are you doing ? I am messing with my iMac and it's messing with me . 😁 . Fair enough .

I had Messages Beta . I stopped in 10.7.5 because iMac is late 2006 . Did a clean install ; erased and reinstalled OS from 10.4.7 using disks and MAS .

I don't have Messages and it seems that Apple doesn't want 10.7.5 to use it . Good decision because it seemed a bit strangely balanced .

Anyway, how am I supposed to communicate with my friend that uses iPad , meaning Messages , has a me.com account and before I reached that address from the sign iMessages with the blue buble on the right .

I have a me.com account also . I added that to iChat . I also have an AOL account , which is also added to iChat .

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The results . The other person used to receive every message at anytime . That happened with Messages .

Now , what is going on ?

I am really confused , mostly dizzy from searching for answers , tired to try stuff like changing to google DNS .

The other person has sent messages to my address and I did not receive them .

Well,have a great day and 🙂

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 3 GBmemory

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 12:33 AM

4 replies

Oct 17, 2012 2:27 PM in response to hydrofal78

Hi,

I am a little surprised that your 2006 iMac will run Lion.

I have a MacBook Pro from mid 2007 that does not have a Core 2 Duo Processor (it only has a Core Duo) and it cannot run Lion.

The Messages beta was a Download which means there was a .dmg file at one point.

Hopefully you kept this.

If you didn't then your options in chatting to the iPad are limited.

At least IOS 5.1.1 is needed on your iPhone to use Messages Beta if you can still install it.

Once you have Messages Beta then your Apple ID can be used to "register" it with iMessages

Then you can iMessage iPads and iPhones using either Apple IDs or iPhone Numbers.

On the other hand your Apple ID is also a valid AIM Screen Name and can be used in iChat or Messages as a AIM name.

Your iPad friend would have to use AIM Express in a Web Browser or see if there is an AIM app for his iOS device

User uploaded file
10:27 PM Wednesday; October 17, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Oct 18, 2012 1:33 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Good morning ,

well we chose to use alternative options like AOL and Google , of course there is always Hotmail and Yahoo .

iMac and iOS devices can use the services above to establish a connection . Each service has a different application . They are very reliable . After the Messages are gone from my OS X , I use AOL and Google and never had issues . iPad user also receives and replies normally with ease .

It has been a surprise for me to encounter this change .

I do not have a .dmg of Messages but I am not willing to load it even if I get one .

After doing the clean install and reaching Lion without Messages , the late 2006 iMac works very fast does not delay , it loads quickly when turned on and changes from account to account without lags . The applications from Safari to Aperture function extremely well . I am amazed and I now believe I should have done this maintenance procedure on January . All those months I have been using a slugish iMac . Plus I managed to free seven GB of HD space .

Praise the Time Machine .

iChat is awesome . It does not matter to me if it has no properties to communicate directly to iOS devices through Apple accounts . It is light swift has simple ordinate options and multiple windows . With Messages I had messaged wrong people two or three times , it was heavy and as a window it has an annoying size , it blocked my main window view .

Nevertheless , I am expecting a feature that will establish an iChat-iMessages line. Already sent a feedback to Apple .

Have a fine day Ralph .

Oct 18, 2012 11:42 AM in response to hydrofal78

Understood.

User uploaded file
7:42 PM Thursday; October 18, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

me.com iChat & Messages , 10.7.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.