Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto is not recognizing the RAW NEF format of my new D600

For some reason iPhoto won't recognize the RAW format NEF of my Nikon D600. I didn't have any difficulty displaying the pictures on my iPad 3.

I only take RAW and not RAW+JPEG. I've got 64 Gb of pictures. What should I do now?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 3.4 GHz i7

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 6:30 AM

8 replies

Oct 16, 2012 6:41 AM in response to Larry Williams

Apple usually updates the OS X "Digital camera RAW formats" shortly after a new camera has been released. Don't know why they don't arrange to have the the new RAW support before camera releases. I guess you can put 1/2 the blame on Nikon and 1/2 on Apple.

You can load the pictures into a folder on your iMac until the update arrives. Don't forget to backup the raw files. 🙂

Watch here for the update to be released.

Oct 17, 2012 11:14 AM in response to bobwild

Okay I tried to use View NX 2 and it is able to show the RAW files. I also found an empty SD card and took a couple pictures. Transfer 2 was able to read the files off of the camera.

I suspect the issues with the 64GB i have is just the number of pictures and Transfer isn't giving immediate feed back when I connect the camera. I put only one of my 32GB SD cards in the camera and tried again. After a minute or 2 the D600 appeared on the screen. Clicking on the camera didn't show any pictures immediately but after quite a few minutes the pictures started appearing.

I guess I can use the Nikon software for now and wait for Apple to update their RAW formats.

Thanks everyone.

iPhoto is not recognizing the RAW NEF format of my new D600

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.