Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't move file to trash

While downloading a pdf crossword puzzle, the download failed, leaving a "pdf.part" folder and an uncompleted pdf file on the desktop. Attempting to move them to the trash elicits an error message "The item “filename_1350348131079.pdf” can’t be moved to the Trash because it can’t be deleted." The browser is Firefox 16.0.1 . Please show me how to remove these files from my computer.

20" IMac-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 6:53 AM

10 replies

Oct 16, 2012 2:11 PM in response to lspencer59

I had a similar experience the other day. Try the following:

Quit all applications.

Go to the Apple menu and select Force Quit Applications.

Click on Finder and then click the button Force Quit. (Your desktop should refresh.)

Select the files and move them to the trash.

If the above does not work, reboot your computer and then try moving those files to the trash again.

HTH

May 5, 2015 12:09 PM in response to lspencer59

I had a folder with an empty folder in it that I could not trash. Or rather it would disappear for a couple of seconds and then reappear. I tried everything I could think of including TrashIt and everything I could find on online help. Then, today, I brilliantly figured it out: I created another folder and copied everything BUT the offending folder into it. Then I deleted the FOLDER with the folder. Poof, it was gone. I have been trying to get that folder gone for months.

can't move file to trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.