Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to improve the sound quality in iMovie 11?

I am doing a voice over in iMovie 11. To improve the sound quality, I purchased a Bllue Yeti USB microphone. But the quality still sounds hollow. I tried the microphone with Garaga Band and it sounded fine. I don't see any way to adjust the sound quality in iMovie. Does anyone have any tricks to help me?

iMac, iPod Touch, iPad, MacBook., Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 8:47 AM

Hi

If You got Great Sound from GarageBand - Then use this to do the VoiceOver. Make this as the last action in Your Video editing process.

I use a Stereo SONY Mic and my miniDV tape Camera - and recorde the audio with this when playing the movie on My Mac so I get it precisely timed. Yes I'm lazy.

Yours Bengt W

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2012 8:47 AM in response to Dutchboy777

Hi

If You got Great Sound from GarageBand - Then use this to do the VoiceOver. Make this as the last action in Your Video editing process.

I use a Stereo SONY Mic and my miniDV tape Camera - and recorde the audio with this when playing the movie on My Mac so I get it precisely timed. Yes I'm lazy.

Yours Bengt W

Oct 16, 2012 10:29 AM in response to Dutchboy777

You need to select the Blue Yeti as your input device.

First go to System Preferences/Sound and click on Input Device. Make sure your Blue Yeti is in the list and selected. Make sure the red light is on on your Blue Yeti. After a period of unuse, it may turn itself off.

User uploaded file

Then, in iMovie, start your Voiceover session by pressing the Microphone on the middle toolbar. You will get a screen like this where you can choose the Blue Yeti.

User uploaded file

Then follow the instructions here.

http://help.apple.com/imovie/#mov3b0fb060

After you have recorded your voiceover, you can select the Voiceover Track and make additional adjustments in the Audio Inspector. For example you can use the Graphic Equalizer.

User uploaded file

Having said all that, Garageband is a great tool if you need even more adjustments. You can export your movie to the Media Browser and do this in GarageBand, or, you can record a voice track in Garageband, render it as AIFF, and use it in IMovie.

Is there a way to improve the sound quality in iMovie 11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.