Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

need help migrating OD users and user data

I need some advise.

I have OD user accounts, more precisely NetHomeAccounts, and the users home folders reside on a 1TB RAID. The RAID is full. No surprise, new that would happen.

I've acquired a 12TB RAID that i plan to move the home folders too.

I also want to consolidate two servers into one. I believe I can use migration assistant to move the OD acounts from one server to another.

my question is about the user data i need to move between two RAIDs...

should I use rsyc to move the NetAccount Home folders from the full RAID to the new 12TB RAID?

- will the accounts migrated from server A to server B recognize there old home folder that is now hosted on a new 12TB RAID? will i run into permission errors?

please advise. Thank You.

Mac OS X (10.7.4), Lion Server 10.7.4

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 10:02 AM

8 replies

Oct 23, 2012 1:38 PM in response to AOadmin

There are serveral ways you can do this, and would depend very much on how you have set things up, although I feel the simplest would simply to shut your file sharing services down, clone the old RAID volume to the new RAID volume, modify/recreate your Users file sharing volume to point to the new RAID drive (so there's no need to modify OD records) and start your file sharing services again.

Another way would be to use the ditto (or rsync) command in Terminal to do the copy process if you aren't wanting to more the entire contents of a volume. Ultimately if your OD user records aren't being changed then user IDs, and hence permissions, should remain constant.

Without know exactly what is where and how things are set up it's hard to know exactly what the preferred route would be.

Oct 23, 2012 1:52 PM in response to infinite vortex

I mixed up about the OD records. basicly.. is there a terminal comand to move OD records between hardware

- old computer to new computer

- there seems to be no GUI for exporting OD records

- i get that I could recreate the OD records on a new server but i would loose the UUIDs and run into permision errors.

- having said that i did read that the migration assistant (standard client version) will import OD records from a node in TDM but i have not tried that yet.

I guess i was hopping there was a simple unix comand i could copie and past to terminal to move OD records to the new directory.

Again - thanks for your help and please continue to advise

Oct 23, 2012 2:32 PM in response to AOadmin

You can Export your user accounts from Workgroup Manager however there will be 2 possible issues you're going to have…

1. User ID conflicts - Unless you thought about this before you're surely going to have conflicts that need resolving in the directory and subsequently in the user account directories as well
  2. Export and Importing in WGM does not preserve password

I guess the big question you have how many accounts you have to migrate as ultimately you need to consider things that are wrapped up in account services like mail, contacts, calenders etc. These all need to be shfited about to and from what I know, there's no simple way.

Oct 23, 2012 2:42 PM in response to infinite vortex

yeah the export thing failed.. the password thing messed me up.

- luckily I'm only using the network home account service for a ways and means of backing up user data and user mobility - have a bunch of freelance designers.

- company is spread across 3 floors - i had a server on each floor but i finally got around to setting up a vlan just for my mac end users. prior to that i had a vlan on each floor and a server for each floor

- no I want to consolidate servers and setup replica servers once iv gotten the OD records in a single open directory master. Im going to try the TDM approach - ill post the results

need help migrating OD users and user data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.