Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Web Browsers Freezing Mountain Lion

I upgraded to Mountain Lion over the weekend and I am really beginning to regret it. I went the upgrade route and soon after the upgrade was performed I began to experience system freezes while using Chrome. After a couple freezes I thought it might be best to use Safari. The problem occurred while using Safari as well. To the best of my memory these crashes generally occurred on pages that contained video. I can't say for sure because I may not have reached the bottom of the page before the freeze occurred. I performed a clean install after many freezes but the problem continues.

The freeze begins with a fraction of second where small squares appear on the screen. The screen then freezes but audio continues. During this time I am able to move the mouse but am unable to click on anything. Only option at that point is to use the power button. A crash log is not generated in the diagnostic reports. I'm not sure what is helpful to paste from the system logs but will provide anything you ask for. I'm a reasonably technically literate user but completely new to the support forums as my previous Macs did not have any serious problems.

I am a graphic designer and this is my primary machine and browser crashes are seriously inhibiting my ability to build websites. I would greatly appreciate any advice you can offer.

Below is my system as it is now. Crashes occurred even with a bare bones fresh install.

Hardware Information:

Mac Pro - model: MacPro5,1

1 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon CPU: 4 cores

12 GB RAM

Startup Items:

tap - Path: /Library/StartupItems/tap

tun - Path: /Library/StartupItems/tun

System Software:

OS X 10.8.2 (12C60) - Uptime: 0 days 0:18

Disk Information:

HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH61N

WDC WD1001FALS-41Y6A0 disk0 : (1 TB)

disk0s1 (disk0s1) <not mounted>: 209.7 MB

WDC1TB (disk0s2) /: 999.35 GB (416.43 GB free)

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted>: 650 MB

WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 disk2 : (2 TB)

disk2s1 (disk2s1) <not mounted>: 209.7 MB

WDC2TB-1 (disk2s2) /Volumes/WDC2TB-1: 2 TB (811.36 GB free)

WDC WD6401AALS-00L3B2 disk3 : (640.14 GB)

disk3s1 (disk3s1) <not mounted>: 32 KB

WDC640-2 (disk3s3) /Volumes/WDC640-2: 640 GB (332.67 GB free)

WDC WD6401AALS-00L3B2 disk1 : (640.14 GB)

disk1s1 (disk1s1) <not mounted>: 209.7 MB

WDC640-1 (disk1s2) /Volumes/WDC640-1: 639.79 GB (202 GB free)

USB Information:

Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse

Apple, Inc Apple Keyboard

Apple Inc. BRCM2046 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Creative Technology Creative USB Headset

FireWire Information:

Kernel Extensions:

foo.tun Version: 1.0

foo.tap Version: 1.0

Problem System Launch Daemons:

Problem System Launch Agents:

[failed] com.apple.afpstat.plist

Launch Daemons:

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist

[loaded] com.adobe.SwitchBoard.plist

[loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist

Launch Agents:

[not loaded] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist

[loaded] com.extensis.FMCore.plist

User Launch Agents:

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist

User Login Items:

iTunesHelper

3rd Party Preference Panes:

Flash Player

Internet Plug-ins:

AdobePDFViewer.plugin

Flash Player.plugin

FlashPlayer-10.6.plugin

JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

QuickTime Plugin.plugin

SharePointBrowserPlugin.plugin

Silverlight.plugin

User Internet Plug-ins:

Bad Fonts:

None

Top Processes:

3.2 % WindowServer

0.9 % EtreCheck

0.6 % mds

0.5 % fontd

0.2 % mdworker

0.0 % loginwindow

0.0 % Finder

0.0 % Dock

0.0 % imagent

Video Card:

ATI Radeon HD 5870

(I included this as I have seen other posts connecting this to specific video cards)

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Mac Pro 5,1 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 11:55 AM

20 replies

Oct 16, 2012 10:34 PM in response to bradszela

I have a late 2008 Mac Book Pro (2.66 Core 2 Duo) and had the same problem. Additionally I have replaced my HDD with a Crucial M4 and my CD-RW with an OCZ Vertex2 using an optibay.

The fix in My case was the Firmware upgrade of the Crucial M4 SSD from Rev 000F to 010G.

The Vertex 2 also got an upgrade to version 1.37

I keep my OS on the Crucial M4 and my Home on the OCZ.

Hope this helps someone.

Looks like Apple, in the 10.8.2 Combo changed some drivers for the SSDs and firmware upgrade is mandatory on the nonsuported SSDs.

Thank you.

Oct 17, 2012 6:31 AM in response to bradszela

Here is my annotation for your your /Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder. Also check that your home Library/Internet Plug-Ins doesn't have any surprises lurking in it.

If you favor the Adobe browser plug-in, then ensure you have at minimum, Acrobat Reader 10.1.4, or the new 11.0 version installed. These are ML compatible.

If there is no explicit reason you need Sharepoint and Silverlight plug-ins, I would remove them, or if necessary, ensure they are current versions, stated to be compatible with Mountain Lion.

Also, if you are using Safari or Chrome browser extensions, add-ons, etc., I would disable these to see if things normalize without them.

User uploaded file

See if this helps.

Oct 17, 2012 9:30 AM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX,

Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate anyone taking time to help me with this!

I uninstalled Flash using the uninstaller. Etre Check showed the plugins as removed. I then reinstalled the latest version of flash (11.4.402.287). Etre Check shows the "FlashPlayer-10.6.plugin" as present.

Internet Plug-ins:

Flash Player.plugin

FlashPlayer-10.6.plugin

JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

QuickTime Plugin.plugin

• I updated AdobePDFViewer and then removed it compeltely after freezes persisted. I don't need this.
  • I uninstalled Silverlight as well though the problem did exist before I installed Silverlight.
  • Sharepoint plugins have been removed.
  • My User/Library/Internet Plug-ins folder is empty
  • I have no browser addons installed in Safari. I am not using Chrome until this is resolved.

The OS is still freezing with regularity.

Oct 17, 2012 1:45 PM in response to bradszela

If you haven't already, use Disk Utility to verify/fix permissions.

Boot the Mac Pro into safe mode by holding down the shift key on boot. This will rebuild or repair some stuff, including your font cache.

Questions or Observations

1. If that FlashPlayer-10.6.plugin was older than the current Flash Removal script, it might have remained, before and after your new FlashPlayer install. Remove FlashPlayer-10.6.plugin (again).
  2. What Graphics Card is installed in your MacPro?
  3. If you run the /Applications/Utilities/System Information.
    1. Selecting Hardware, what is the Boot ROM Version that is reported? If you applied the 2008 Mac Pro EFI firmware update 1.3, you should see a Boot ROM entry of MP31.006C.B05.

See here and here for this update.

2. Selecting memory, does it report “OK” for each bank of memory?
  4. Are you current on your Extensis Font Management software? Is there stated compatibility with Mountain Lion?
  5. You appear to have third party kernel extensions installed. What are these, and if necessary, are they Mountain Lion compatible?
    1. foo.tun
    2. foo.tap
  6. Did your instability problems commence with the addition of the Western Digital WD2002FAEX (disk2) drive? This post on the community might be interesting.
  7. Did that Creative Technology Headset require driver installation?

Oct 17, 2012 2:54 PM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX

I made a call to Apple Support. We ended up deleting the plugins folder, deleting the cache in the Library and rebooting in safe mode. While in safe mode we reinstalled Flash. After restarting things appear to be running. I ran video from NBA league pass and Netflix while browsing youtube and other video intensive sites. It appears things are running as they should (and I hope this continues). I went 15 mintues without crashing so we'll see if the fix is permanent.

I will answer your questions as this issue still has me concerned and if the info is of any use for you or someone might all the details might as well be on the record.

If you haven't already, use Disk Utility to verify/fix permissions.

Haven't done this yet. May do it anyway.

Boot the Mac Pro into safe mode by holding down the shift key on boot. This will rebuild or repair some stuff, including your font cache.

Had booted in safe mode earlier today and while on the phone with Apple Support. It seems the second try was a charm.

Questions or Observations

1. If that FlashPlayer-10.6.plugin was older than the current Flash Removal script, it might have remained, before and after your new FlashPlayer install. Remove FlashPlayer-10.6.plugin (again).
    I deleted my drive when I installed ML for the second time. Driver should only be from the last few days.
  2. What Graphics Card is installed in your MacPro?
    Radeon HD5870 - (I had noticed NVIDIA users had similar problems)
  3. If you run the /Applications/Utilities/System Information.
    1. Selecting Hardware, what is the Boot ROM Version that is reported? If you applied the 2008 Mac Pro EFI firmware update 1.3, you should see a Boot ROM entry of MP31.006C.B05.

See here and here for this update. (MP51.007F.B03) Problem?

2. Selecting memory, does it report “OK” for each bank of memory? Yes
  4. Are you current on your Extensis Font Management software? Is there stated compatibility with Mountain Lion? Yes & Yes - updated Extensis Immediately
  5. You appear to have third party kernel extensions installed. What are these, and if necessary, are they Mountain Lion compatible?
    I use a VPN Service and the extensions are required. They are, to the best of my knowledge, ML compatible.
  6. Did your instability problems commence with the addition of the Western Digital WD2002FAEX (disk2) drive? This post on the community might be interesting.
    I have had the drive since mid June. It was an RMA for a drive that went bad after 8 months. I have had no problems other than the issue in this thread. Thanks for the heads up though.
  7. Did that Creative Technology Headset require driver installation? No

If this problem resurfaces I will come back to this thread. This issue still concerns me as I feel the whole system should not have been brought down like this. I had maybe 2 or 3 fatal crashes on my G5 quad and this machine in 8 years.

I am grateful for your assistance!

Oct 18, 2012 8:27 AM in response to VikingOSX

Spoke too soon. Went to watch a game with NBA League Pass (Flash based) and had another crash. This one was different than the previous, the screen went mostly black with some white streaks. Had to use the power button to restart.

This morning I had a fatal crash that didn't involve a browser. The OS crashed while composing an email in Outlook 2011. The same type of crash as originally experienced (screen flickers and freezes except for pointer). No browsers were active. I believe only Outlook 2011, Indesign 5.5 and Acrobat X Pro (10.1.4) . I haven't updated Indesign, in the process of doing that now.

Goign to follow your previous suggestions. If I still have problems it's off to see a genius.

Oct 25, 2012 1:00 PM in response to bradszela

UPDATE: The difficulties continue. I went to the nearest Apple Store but they are in a temporary location as their store is unde renovation and they could only do a partial diagnostics. I'm lucky I have 4 apple stores within a half hour drive as I had to go to another store so they could check my machine in and do full diagnostics. This meant another wasted day.

At both stores I thoroughly explaines the problem and showed them the video I took of the crash. They checked the history of my problem. Apparently the tech I talked to on the phone took really good notes so they had a clear picture of the problem.

My machine passed an over night diagnostic test and they reformatted the HD and did another clean install. The machine passed the diagnostics again and they called me to pick it up. I was skeptical since they mentioned they only did a fresh install of the OS. Having already done this it was unlikely to change anything. They said they could not replicate the problem. I brought it home and set it up again. The first crash occurred after about an hour and I've had many since.

One positive: I have only installed flash player, Creative Suite and Office 2011. This eliminates SIlverlight and the Tun/Tap drivers as possibilities.

I'm calling tech support again. I am on vacation next week and the last thing I want is to lose more time to this. Who would have thought a Mountain Lion upgrade could go this bad. At this point I think I need a 9th Dan Genius to help me out. This is costing me greatly in both lost revenue and time. I just want a computer that works the way it is supposed to.

Nov 4, 2012 10:14 AM in response to bradszela

I am having exactly the same problem with my MacPro which also has 5870. I suspect the graphics card is the source of the problem. The flash of diagonal lines occurs when there is a heavy graphics load such as scrolling while editing in FCPX, and the computer appears to continue to opperate even though the display (with the exception of curser) has frozen.

It started as soon as I installed 10.8. I have since done a clean system install but to no effect. The machine actually crashed during the installation. 10.8 supposedly offered improvements in graphics performance and I wonder if there was not some sort of buggy firmware that was installed with 10.8. I think this graphics card is fairly rare so Apple may be a little slow in finding the problem, particularly as these crashes will not produce a crash report. I would suggest leaving a bug report at this address.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html

Chris

Nov 5, 2012 8:54 AM in response to waltoncr

Thanks for sharing your experience. My computer is in the midst of it's second week long stay at the Apple Store. I zapped the PRAM numerous times before calling tech support. The geniuses did the same thing with no change in behaviour.

I dropped the computer off Monday monring and I followed up on Sunday. They said they were still running tests so I'm not very optimistic about the situation.

I am going to submit a bug report.

Will follow up here when I know more.

Web Browsers Freezing Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.