Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine takes large backup every day

I have been using Time Machine for a few months without any problems until I updated to Mac OS X 10.7.5, when it began to take a 90GB backup every day. Sometimes it begins a new backup immediately it finishes because it doesn't recognise that it has completed successfully. Backups are running a lot of the time. I applied the OS X 10.7.5 supplemental update but it has made no difference. Any ideas?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Time Machine with external USB HDD

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 1:13 PM

3 replies

Oct 24, 2012 1:18 AM in response to Green Pete

I have fixed the problem. Searching the web for similar problems, I noticed that AV software was sometimes implicated. I use ESET Cybersecurity and I saw some suggestions that it was sometimes necessary to uninstall and reinstall it asfter an OS update. I uninstalled it and Time Machine immediately reverted to normal behaviour, with small backups taking only seconds or a minute or two. I monitored it for a few days and everything was fine. I then reinstalled ESET and everything is still OK. It has been running normally for several days now, so I think I have solved the problem. 🙂

Time Machine takes large backup every day

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.