Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade 10.4 to 10.5 using disc that shipped with a different MacBook?

I have an older MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo currently running 10.4.11. I need to upgrade to 10.5 Leopard.

A friend gave me the install disc that came with his MacBook (which he no longer uses). It says "Mac OS X 10.5" on it. However, it does not look like the "retail installer" disc (the purple one with the big X). Instead, this disc is gray with white lettering.

Can I upgrade to 10.5 with this disc, or do I really need the "retail installer?" As you may know, those are hard to find. I do not want to do a highly technical install, just a simple upgrade of the OS. I have backed up my files (although I have NOT cloned the HD), but I do not want to proceed with this disc until I'm sure it will work.

I cannot find a clear answer on the forums, so if anyone knows, I would be most grateful. Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2 GHz), Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 12:56 PM

1 reply

Oct 16, 2012 12:59 PM in response to IslandDan

IslandDan wrote:

Can I upgrade to 10.5 with this disc, ...

Unfortunately not... Install discs are Machine specific...

What you could try is Updating to Snow Leopard = OS X 10.6.x

It is Not available as a download...

Do this first...

Check that your Mac meets the System Requirements for Snow Leopard...

Snow Leopard Tech Specs

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP575

If so Contact Apple in your Country to Purchase a Snow Leopard Disc...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57

In the US...

1-800-MY-APPLE or 1-800-676-2775

After the Successful Install, run Software Update to get the latest updates for Snow Leopard.

Be sure to make a Backup of your Current System Before Upgrading...

Upgrade 10.4 to 10.5 using disc that shipped with a different MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.