Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2010 MacBook: Can't unlock Preference panes

I have a mid-2010 MacBook running OSX 10.7.4. Computer's operation is normal except for this issue. The issue is that I cannot use the administrator password to unlock preference panes or install software, but it works when logging in. I have tried restarting, resetting PRAM, repairing and verifying volumes from the repair utility, etc. The Users and Groups preference pane is locked, so I cannot create a new administrator account. I have also tried changing the password. The computer occasionally reverts (seemingly at random) to the old login screen (two text boxes, one for username and one for password on a gray background), and on this screen I cannot login either. I would like to confirm that the username is correct when I enter it, so you know that isn't the issue. The password is definetely correct, as I mentioned earlier. When installing software, it recognizes that the password is correct/incorrect (when incorrect, the box shakes), but it just closes quickly, having decidedly not installed the software.

Thank you for any help!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 2:12 PM

There are no replies.

2010 MacBook: Can't unlock Preference panes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.