Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No text messages in Notification Center

I feel like I have all settings correct but I'm not getting any text message notifications in Notification Center. If I wanted to start over and reset everything from scratch, where do I start?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 5:26 PM

7 replies

Oct 17, 2012 8:27 AM in response to cbs20

Yes, I am currently signed in and setup with my iCloud account in the Messagesa app on my MacBook. Under my Notification Center prefs, Messages is selected to display alerts.

I was under the impression that I could receive text messages within the Notification Center because when I first installed Mountain Lion I had an iPhone 4S. Any text message that I would send or receive would always show within the Notification Center as a conversation. The iPhone 5 came out, I upgraded to it and from that point forward these conversations of text messages no longer showed in my Notification Center.

While on my MacBook do I have to have the Messages application running before these text messages will show the notification Center?

Oct 18, 2012 2:27 PM in response to 105437

Hi,

In the Notification Center it depends on whether you user Alerts or Banners.

Alerts display more of the incoming Message and do not disappear from view until dealt with.

User uploaded file
10:27 PM Thursday; October 18, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Oct 23, 2012 12:03 PM in response to 105437

Hi,

The Messages app has Alerts in the Messages Menu > Preferences > Alerts.

The top item is a drop down of Actions.

The next line starts with a Play Sound box to be ticked and then a drop down of Sounds

There is then the Box for causing the icon in the Dock to bounce.

For the Invite variations Dialogue boxes do appear on the desktop in different places depending on the type of chat.

Test Chat ones tend to be top right of the screen.

Video chats are top centre.

Audio Only chats are to the right but below the Text invite spot.

This is where the Incoming ones appear.

You obviously don't get the invite box with out going stuff but the Chat is often where you left the last outgoing chat.

So you can set a sound to a particular actions and in some cases those could be the incoming invites.

They will work with iMessages and other IMs on AIM or Jabber accounts that you may have.

The Notifications is part of the System Preferences panes and has the options to have different types of notifications show up for some of the actions.

The items can be "Alerts" or "Banners" ( or None).

The so called Notification Center is top and far right in the Menu Bar where Spotlight used to be.

This can reprise old notifications for specific apps.

User uploaded file
8:03 PM Tuesday; October 23, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 23, 2012 1:42 PM in response to 105437

HI,

If you have Mac OS X 10.8.2 (and therefore Messages 7.0.1) and iOS 6 on your iOS devices the answer is yes.

User uploaded file
9:42 PM Tuesday; October 23, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

No text messages in Notification Center

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.