Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repeated failed Software Update since upgrade to Mountain Lion

Since upgrading to Mountain Lion, I've been unable to successfully run Software Update for Apple software. This includes iPhoto, iTunes, OS X itself, and so forth, though other App Store purchases come through fine. sudo softwareupdate -l asks for an admin password, hangs for a while, then quits without error ("No new software available."). I've attempted reinstalling Mountain Lion (complete with a clean installation, then restoring files back from Time Machine), deleting the .plist file for Software Updates, and resetting the PRAM and system clock.

Of note, my install log is filled with hundreds of repeats of the following entry, though with different dates:

Oct 9 17:14:11 ***.local Software Update[3558]: Failed Software Update - trust evaluation failed in SecTrustEvaluate with result: 3

Oct 9 17:14:11 ***.local Software Update[3558]: Can't load distribution from https://swdist.apple.com/content/downloads/24/12/041-5684/xBZPYvpkKVWptD5BpKbpbh PSDyp87s553f/041-5684.English.dist.gz: Host cert invalid or otherwise insecure download

This seems to indicate some sort of problem with my certificates. I've attempted a keychain repair, but Keychain Access finds nothing wrong. What else can I try?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 7:23 PM

14 replies

Oct 17, 2012 3:13 PM in response to Tanada

I'm having the same problem here with Software Update. If it was just your certificates, it wouldn't be happening to me as well. Also, for me, when I look at System Preferences for Software Update, it says it was last checked on Sept. 24th. I've run it manually many times since, but the date hasn't changed. I've tried changing the DNS servers and bypassing the proxies, but no luck yet.

Oct 17, 2012 8:34 PM in response to HarmonH

Have you checked /var/log/install.log ? I noticed that my own System Preferences listing of the day it last checked states yesterday (correct), but, of course, nothing was detected. install.log may give you more information on what's going on than any GUI element does.

Try running sudo softwareupdate -l followed by vim /var/log/install.log . Hit G (yes, hit Shift to make that a capital) to go to the very end, and see what the error messsages (if any) there are. Quit vim with :q.

On my end, I've also gone and manually reinstalled the certificates for Software Update plus the two root certificates via Keychain Access. Still no dice.

Oct 18, 2012 8:28 AM in response to Tanada

Here is what my install.log shows:

Oct 18 09:51:17 ... Software Update[1871]: Failed Software Update - trust evaluation failed in SecTrustEvaluate with result: 3

Oct 18 09:51:17 ...Software Update[1871]: Can't load distribution from https://swdist.apple.com/content/downloads/40/42/041-5409/tKmNdYqpSKkrfTC8hC83GZ zR3YCpDs57Bq/041-5409.English.dist.gz: Host cert invalid or otherwise insecure download

Oct 18 09:51:17 ...Software Update[1871]: Removing package source SUContentLocatorPackageSource from manager

Oct 18 09:51:17 ...suhelperd[1876]: Acquired Lock: 0, 1871, 0

Oct 18 09:51:17 ... suhelperd[1876]: Releasing Lock: 0, 1871, 0

Oct 18 09:51:17 ...Software Update[1871]: SoftwareUpdate: one or more scan resources not loaded successfully; will not reset success date/entity

Oct 18 09:51:17... Software Update[1871]: SoftwareUpdate: elapsed scan time = 127.6

Oct 18 09:51:29 ... installd[1872]: installd: Exiting

The same basic errors repeat. Could this be an Apple server glitch, or an intermediate server problem?

Could Software Update be trying to access the wrong location(s)?

Oct 22, 2012 7:24 AM in response to Tanada

The same problem with me.

Since upgrading to Mountain Lion, I've been unable to successfully run Software Update for Apple software. This includes iPhoto, iTunes, OS X itself, and so forth,

I've attempted reinstalling Mountain Lion

The problem persists.

When I look at System Preferences for Software Update, it says it was last checked on Sept. 20th The installer log states,

Oct 22 13:18:40 Daniels-iMac.local Software Update[1981]: Can't load distribution from https://swdist.apple.com/content/downloads/40/42/041-5409/tKmNdYqpSKkrfTC8hC83GZ zR3YCpDs57Bq/041-5409.English.dist.gz: Host cert invalid or otherwise insecure download

Oct 22 13:18:40 Daniels-iMac.local Software Update[1981]: Removing package source SUContentLocatorPackageSource from manager

Oct 22 13:18:40 Daniels-iMac.local Software Update[1988]: Acquired Lock: 200, 1981, 100

Oct 22 13:18:40 Daniels-iMac.local Software Update[1988]: Releasing Lock: 200, 1981, 100

Oct 22 13:18:40 Daniels-iMac.local Software Update[1981]: SoftwareUpdate: one or more scan resources not loaded successfully; will not reset success date/entity

Oct 22 13:18:40 Daniels-iMac.local Software Update[1981]: SoftwareUpdate: elapsed scan time = 151.0

Oct 22 13:18:41 Daniels-iMac.local Software Update[1981]: SoftwareUpdateCheck: scan found 0 recommended products

Oct 22 13:18:41 Daniels-iMac.local Software Update[1981]: SoftwareUpdate: 0 enabled config-data product(s): (want active updates only)

Oct 22 13:18:41 Daniels-iMac.local Software Update[1981]: SUCheckService: sending result 2 to peer

Oct 22 13:18:41 --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Oct 22 13:18:41 Daniels-iMac.local UserEventAgent[161]: SUNotificationPlugin[uid=501]: check done with result SUCheckServiceResultUpToDate

Oct 22 13:18:41 Daniels-iMac.local UserEventAgent[161]: SUNotificationPlugin[uid=501]: Notifying appstoreupdateagent for user 501

Oct 22 13:18:41 Daniels-iMac.local UserEventAgent[11]: SUNotificationPlugin[uid=0]: check done with result SUCheckServiceResultUpToDate

Oct 22 13:18:41 Daniels-iMac.local UserEventAgent[11]: SUNotificationPlugin[uid=0]: Not notifying appstoreupdateagent for user 0

Oct 22 13:18:41 Daniels-iMac.local UserEventAgent[161]: SUNotificationPlugin[uid=501]: appstoreupdateagent notification sent

Software Updates seems to check and send information towards Apple.

i deleted com.apple.AppStore folder

the problem persists

Help would be much appreciated.

Daniel

Oct 22, 2012 1:12 PM in response to daniel-elpaisano

I've managed to get this working, finally, and the issue was with the keychain. I had to do two things to get past the error; I'm guessing the settings got migrated from my Lion install, which is why the problem reappeared when I restored files via Time machine.

Open up Keychain Access, then Keychain Access -> Preferences...

Hit the Certificates tab.

Set "Online Certificate Status Protocol" to "Best Attempt".

Set "Certificate Revocation List" to "Best Attempt".

Set "Priority" to OCSP.

Close the Preferences window.

Now, go to the System keychain via the left pane, and see if there are any certification authorities with non-standard settings (it'll have a white + in a blue circle, or a white X in a red circle overlaid over the icon). Go into each of these and reset to defaults (even the ones that seemingly have nothing to do with Apple).

Right-click on the entry and select "Get Info".

Expand the "Trust" list.

For "When using this certificate", select "Use System Defaults".

From here, restart and try Software Updates again. If you have custom trust settings, you can reset them after you've confirmed that updates work.

I don't know if this will work for you, but it's fixed the problem on my end.

Oct 22, 2012 8:05 PM in response to Tanada

Thank you, it worked. One root certificate that I marked not to trust was the problem. I had read about Comodo and trust issues about certificates several months ago, but making the change didn't affect me till I upgraded to Mountain Lion. I don't have any new updates, yet, but I've been downloading updates manually from Apple's Support Download page. But now at least the check date is right, and I don't have the same Console log error messages that I had before. I'm sure that it's fixed. Thanks.

Oct 23, 2012 2:53 AM in response to Tanada

Also thank you for "the right" solution. I followed your line of action, had to correct items as stated in your proceedings and Software Updates where found ,downloaded and installed successful, the date in System Preferences/SoftwareUpdate changed to 23/10/12 so the problem is solved.

Install log showed all the events of the updates (1,5G download).

Thanks again

Repeated failed Software Update since upgrade to Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.