Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lumix DMC - FZ 200 raw support lacking. Is there a work around to access jpeg images

I'm Using Aperture 2.1.4.

I Shot RAW + JPEG on a recent trip using my new Lumix DMC - FZ 200 on a 64 gb sdxc card which seems supported by OSX 10.6.8 - import seemed to be working ok.

Aperture shows only thumbnail with "Unsupported image format".

Files in metadata show as .rw2 - is there a way to see the jpeg version?

How can one request Apple to support this camera? Is there a way to work about this while Apple gets round to providing upate to include the FZ 200 ?

Aperture 2, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 9:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 11:00 PM

You could convert your raw images to dgn, using the free Adobe dng converter: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5485

This way you can use all the raw options in Aperture. That is what I am doing with the raw from my Lumix FZ28.

But since you imported raw+jpeg pairs, have a look, if you can set the jpeg version as master - at least in Aperture 3 is an option to do that (n the Photos menu: use jpeg as master). I do not have Aperture 2, so I cannot search for this option, sorry.

The list of cameras currently supported by Aperture is here:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html

if you look at the Lumix Cameras in this list, you will notice, that nearly all are marked by **, meaning that they are only supported in Aperture 3 or later. So even when Apple will the raw support for your new camera, it may only be available for Aperture 3 and not 2 for a while.

Reagrds

Léonie

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2012 11:00 PM in response to GW-ab

You could convert your raw images to dgn, using the free Adobe dng converter: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5485

This way you can use all the raw options in Aperture. That is what I am doing with the raw from my Lumix FZ28.

But since you imported raw+jpeg pairs, have a look, if you can set the jpeg version as master - at least in Aperture 3 is an option to do that (n the Photos menu: use jpeg as master). I do not have Aperture 2, so I cannot search for this option, sorry.

The list of cameras currently supported by Aperture is here:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html

if you look at the Lumix Cameras in this list, you will notice, that nearly all are marked by **, meaning that they are only supported in Aperture 3 or later. So even when Apple will the raw support for your new camera, it may only be available for Aperture 3 and not 2 for a while.

Reagrds

Léonie

Oct 16, 2012 11:48 PM in response to léonie

Thanks Leonie, I missed the bit about support being for A3 - I'll have to upgrade soon I suppose - just dont want to have a lot of hassle that takes weeks to sort out!

I'l look at the adobe dng converter - It may work for me for now.

I can't even see the jpeg image - is there a way to do that or is it only available once the support "Driver" is installed?

Thanks for your help,

Graham

Oct 17, 2012 5:22 AM in response to GW-ab

I can't even see the jpeg image - is there a way to do that or is it only available once the support "Driver" is installed?

I really can't tell you, since I never have worked with Aperture 2 and I could not find how Aperture 2 handles raw+jpeg pairs in the Aperture 2 User Manual.

Are your images referenced or managed? If you relocate the masters to a folder outside the library, you should be able to access and open the jpeg and raw images from the Finder.

Oct 31, 2012 6:41 PM in response to léonie

I did try to convert my pictures this way by exporting from Aperture to an external drive and using referenced masters. This allowed me to find the jpg versions but Unfortunately the Adobe converted dng files could not be read by Aperture. I'm not sure what the issue was but Aperture said they were corrupted! Maybe if I had converted directly from the memory card it might have been better without trying to go into Aperture first.

I noticed a few days ago that Apple has released a new list of RAW supported cameras for Aperture 3 and the Lumix DMC FZ200 is one of them!!! That means that I now have to upgrade to A3. I'm a bit nervous and will have to go through my several lobraries and rebuild them and make sure I have back ups of A2 as well as the libraries before I start.

I'll need to study the support group a bit first to come up with the best sequence for this. I really only want to do it once!!

GW

Nov 1, 2012 1:57 AM in response to GW-ab

When I use Adobe DNG Convertrer for Lumix FZ28 raw files, only half of them can be read by Aperture.

If you look at the list of supported raw formats: http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html

there is a footnote for dng:

Aperture works with most DNG files generated from cameras that support this format and with DNG files generated by the Adobe DNG Converter with the “Convert to Linear Image” option turned off.

That means that I now have to upgrade to A3. I'm a bit nervous and will have to go through my several lobraries and rebuild them and make sure I have back ups of A2 as well as the libraries before I start.

rIght, that precaution is the way to do it - back up everything, and rebuild and test the libraries, while you still have Aperture 2. And if you are using plug-ins upgrade them to the most recent versions.

To be able to use the most recent Aperture 3 update you will have to update your MacOS X as well. Check, if all applications that you need can run on MacOS X 10.8.2; PowerPC applications are no longer supported.

Regards

Léonie

Lumix DMC - FZ 200 raw support lacking. Is there a work around to access jpeg images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.