Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your bootable usb could not be created" "An error occurred while copying the Windows installation files"

I'm trying to use BootCamp to install Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro. However, I'm having issues because I downloaded Windows 7 from DreamSpark over the internet, so I don't have an 'installation disc'. Instead, I got BootCamp to give me the option to create a bootable USB using the .iso file I downloaded. At first it seems to be completely fine, but midway through it always gives the error message "Your bootable usb could not be created", and under that "An error occurred while copying the Windows installation files"

I followed a topic on this before, but I never found a solution--the closest was a suggestion to unmount the ISO if it had been mounted beforehand. I had mounted it beforehand, so I unmounted it--however, this did not fix the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 11:56 PM

4 replies

Oct 17, 2012 12:59 PM in response to ttlanderson

This has got to be one of the most frustrating processes ever. I got it to partition (it just randomly worked one time, nothing changed from other attempts it just worked), but now it won't show my partition when I hold the option key at startup, and it doesn't show up in the startup disk in System Preferences. But now that's off this specific topic, so I guess I'll create a new thread to see what people have to say about that one.

"Your bootable usb could not be created" "An error occurred while copying the Windows installation files"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.