Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I log out of my Macbook then shut down. When I turn my Macbook back on there is no Log in. Anyone can now walk up to my Macbook and read anything on it.

The Log On component on Macbook has disappeared. I set a password so that others could Not open my Macbook. Now when I turn it on, it opens right up. If someone steals my Macbook it will be history. Is this how we force someone to upgrade to use iCloud? Find my Mac uses iCloud to locate a lost or stolen Macbook. I didn't reset anything. I Was getting into the habit of turning OFF Wi-Fi before Logging Off and Shutting Down my Macbook though but nothing else. How do I set a new Admin log on password?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 1:44 AM

1 reply

Oct 17, 2012 1:57 AM in response to davesnewlion

I use this formula to reset Admin login password:

Resetting a user's password in OS X Lion and Mountain Lion

Important: Passwords for administrator accounts should not be blank.

1. Log in with an administrator account. Tip: If you don't know the password of any administrator accounts, see "Resetting the original administrator account password" below.
  2. From the Apple menu choose System Preferences.
  3. From the View menu choose Users & Groups.
  4. Click the lock button if it appears locked; enter the administrator password.
  5. Select the name of the user whose password you want to change.
  6. Click the Reset Password button or the Change Password button.
  7. Enter a new password in both the New Password and Verify fields, and add a Password Hint if desired.
  8. Click the Reset Password button or the Change Password button.

And the change password has me making a new Apple ID. I don't need a new Apple ID. I need a new Admin login so that when I turn on my Macbook I need to login with a password before I can used the Macbook. Amd I asking the wrong question of support?

I log out of my Macbook then shut down. When I turn my Macbook back on there is no Log in. Anyone can now walk up to my Macbook and read anything on it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.