Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP doesn't boot but fan is running

I've got a MacBook Pro early 2008, everything worked fine until recently. The machine was shut down for a few days and thereafter won't boot at all. When I press the power button three things happen: the power indicator light goes on, the cd drive does some self test (typical cd drive noise on power-up) and the fan starts. All normal. Unfortunately it doesn't go any further than that. I've tried the NVRAM reset, the SMC reset and checked many other pages to find a possible cause. The battery is working normally, slowly discharging at a normal rate when it's off all the time now. The charger looks ok, charging works normally. Nothing seems to help. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 3:00 AM

7 replies

Oct 27, 2012 8:54 AM in response to gerbenbondt

So I've been to an Apple approved service provider. They told me the logic board was dead, replacement around 600 euro including service. Decided not to do it and buy a new one. The service guys were so friendly to remove the harddrive and put it into this USB box to make it like an external HD.

Got the computer back and as the logic board was dead anyway I decided to try this: bake it in the oven. 190 degrees C, 7:30 minutes. See this website for some more details: http://russell.heistuman.com/2010/04/27/cooking-the-books-or-baking-my-macbook-p ro-logic-board/

I removed the logic board according ifixit.com instructions, bake it for 7 and a half minutes 375ºF or 190ºC, follow the deassemble manual in reverse order (placed the harddrive back as well) and it worked. It's running now and I'm writing this post from my "undead" MacBook Pro.

Anyway I will buy a new MacBook as I take into account this "solution" will not work forever, but at least now I've got a bit of time to collect money for it.

Thanks all of you for taking the time to read and answer my posts, you've been very helpful. It's a bit of a unusual solution but I hope the above can be helpful to others as well.

Ciao

MBP doesn't boot but fan is running

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.