Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thumbnails building on launch, impermanent and missing several years

When I open it, Aperture always wants to generate thumnails (70,000+, for a library of 190,000 referenced files).

I'm working with a fresh install of 3.4, a new plist.

If I let the thumbnails build until done, it apparently makes no difference the next time (after quitting and relaunching Aperture). The same thing happens.

Looking at the package contents, I see that although I have pictures in my referenced library going back to 2005, the Thumbnails folder shows folders beginning at 2008. So several years of thumnails are evidently missing. (That's probably around the time I switched from iPhoto to Aperture as my photo organizer and editor. That might be a red herring, or is there something qualitatively different about those former-iPhoto Masters?)

So how do I make a permanent set of thumnails for those missing years, so that I don't have to either wait a long time for the program-slowing activity to complete, or manually cancel the 70,000+ temporary rebuild every time I launch Aperture?

Thanks for any advice.

Patrick

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 4:21 AM

9 replies

Oct 17, 2012 4:34 AM in response to Patrick Snook

So how do I make a permanent set of thumnails for those missing years,

Patrick,

you can select the images (for example create a smart album with an added "Date" rule: Capture year is before 2008. Then use the command "Photos > Generate Thumbnails".

But look at the Thumbnails folder for 2008, which images it contains. The folders inside the Aperture Library are not organized by "Capture Date", they are organized by import session. Your images imported in 2008 may very well have a capture date of 2005. All my iPhoto imports from 2003 show up in my Aperture library in folders from 2010.

What are the years that you see in your "Masetrs" and "Previews" folder? There the same rules apply.

Oct 17, 2012 5:04 AM in response to léonie

Leonie,

Thank you again!

The 2008 thumbnail folder appears to include only the normal monthly activity, but inspect files numbers in each (using command-i to look at numbers of items in each folder, in each month) I do indeed find one day in 2008 that includes multiple-thousands of thumbnails. I conclude that it must be the date I imported a huge iPhoto library.

That explains why I appear to have a thumbnail for each picture, going back to the first photo by date (2005), in spite of the (redundant) rebuild that wants to happen automatically with each launch of Aperture.

I intend to do your recommendation: to manually highlight all photos prior to 2008 and generate thumbnails.

However, while waiting (expecting a long delay before I received an answer--I was wrong about that--thanks again!), I highlighted those same photos, and did a "reprocess from masters". That will take me a long time.

Then I will try the generate thumbnails.

Then I will report back!

Even on a blazing fast machine--MBP retina, with 750G flash drive, and Masters stored on 6TB raid via thunderbolt-eSata--these things take time! And I'm mindful to try (to change) *one thing at a time* to see if it fixed the problem, so that I can benefit from (and share with others) a simple cause-and-effect confidence that I fixed a problem.

FYI: I have been stalled in my editing now for almost 48 hours. Two days ago, my formerly reliable Aperture editing procedure began to freeze (spinning beach ball) while I tried so fairly routine edits on pictures. I'm not sure the editing problem still exists, because I have allowed myself to become side-tracked by this rebuild issue, thinking I might solve my editing problem in the process. However, the two might be completely unrelated.

I'm still trying to figure out what I changed (if anything) that might have caused the spinning beach ball. I can think of only one thing, and it has to do with previews--but I had better put that aside for now, until I can move ahead with this thumbnail issue (or just ignore it, if I can't fix it, as I was doing before the problem occurred, without apparently affecting the editing efficiency, prior to 48 hours ago).

I have customers waiting patiently, but Aperture is stalling my ability to generate income.

Were it not for this community--and particularly your help over the last 24 hours--I would be much more anxious!

Cheers,

Patrick

Oct 17, 2012 5:39 AM in response to Patrick Snook

Patrick,

I'm still trying to figure out what I changed (if anything) that might have caused the spinning beach ball. I can think of only one thing, and it has to do with previews--but I had better put that aside for now,

That is a frequent cause - a single corrupted image or incompatible video can cause Aperture to hang, it will try over and over again to generate a preview and not succeed. Then the only help is to lauch Aperture with the Shift key held down, to defer the generation of previews.

Do you have imports from iPhotoin your library - smart iPhoto albums?

Oct 17, 2012 5:59 AM in response to léonie

Aha! Thanks.

I have no iPhoto smart albums.

Interesting: a couple of years ago I converted to a thumbnails-only library, deleting (or attempting to delete) Previews, in order to have the smallest possible library, for several reasons.

I notice, however, that I have a Previews folder, and it has multiple files. And that is after running a "delete previews" on all photos, several times.

(I canceled the photo reprocess. I'll try the Shift key trick next.)

Patrick

Oct 17, 2012 12:04 PM in response to Patrick Snook

And since I don't currently want Previews, would you predict that it will be OK to drag that folder to the trash?

It would be safer to let Aperture delete the previews.

• Disable all options to automatically generate previews in the Preferences > Previews tab.
  • Select all images at once, e.g. from the "Photos" view and select from the main menu bar "Photos > Delete Previews".

Is there a way to track down corrupted files (a Preview, or a Master, or whatever)?

I supect corrupted original files from your most recent import (video, original image), and to find them will be a lot of work.

And sometimes an import from iPhoto can cause this (smart iPhoto albums).

Your corrupted image will be the first, that does not have a preview, since Aperture probably hangs, when it tries to generate the preview. So if you want to find the culprit, delay the deletion of previews.

One approach to find the corrupted image/video is to select the last imported project; then to force the creation of previews for some of the images, in small batches (Photos > Update Preview). If that succeeds, the images are o.k., if not, then the corrupted image is in the batch of images you just tried.

When you have isolated the image, remove it from the library.

Oct 22, 2012 11:26 AM in response to léonie

A follow-up to this recurring crashing with one particular project.

I *seem* to have at least progressed.

The editing of this project caused me many frustrating stops and restarts, which take precious time, of course, and shake confidence in both the integrity of the library, and the files.

The reply above (thank you, Leonie) helped, although indirectly. I don't use previews, but I did generate previews for this project to see if that was somehow necessary, and to see if it would isolate one or more problem files, as suggested. In short, previews were generated without incident. But it did not fix the problem.

The idea however inspired me to try something else. (For anyone following this, I have been through a long list of troubleshooting--the usual steps--with no success.)

I exported all the files (masters, referenced) that I had not edited so far (they are organized by date, in other words, in shooting order by time) to the desktop. Then I re-imported them, in a separate project.

Either by luck, or engineering, that fixed it. I was then able to complete editing the project without a hang. (To be clear, this is the only project so far that has crashed the software like that. Many more have projects been imported since, and edited successfully, without crashing . . . so far.)

So either the export-import trick appeared to help; or it's possible it had nothing to do with it (as in, the trouble file was not among those files).

(I should run the same trick on the remainder of the project, then attempt to edit that part of the project, and see if all goes smoothly . . . which would strengthen the export-import step as troubleshooting fix. When I have more time. . . .)

But export-import might be a useful extra step to add to the list of troubleshooting steps.

Oct 22, 2012 11:35 AM in response to léonie

Good question. I forgot to say that I used the newly-generated masters (now in a folder on my desktop) as the new referenced files.

I'm not sure exactly what step I'll take next. I'd like to complete the housekeeping and try and isolate the funky file(s) and clear them out.

But it all takes so much time. And I have customers. . . .

Thanks again for your original support and interest. Maybe this will help someone else too. . . .

Thumbnails building on launch, impermanent and missing several years

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.