Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Configurator won't check in devices ("Device running newer version")

We deployed ~400 iPads using Configurator in August. When iOS6 was released, students received pop up notices that they needed to upgrade their software (not to mention they knew that Siri was being added) so about 1/2 of them upgraded their iOS. Now, if I try to check them into the configurator so that I can refresh their iPads, I get the "Device running newer version" error message. Any ideas?

iPad, iOS 6, Apple Configurator

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 5:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 6:04 AM

Are you supervising and restoring a backup with ios 5.x? Your best bet is to update everything to 6 , including apps, on one and update the rest to 6 and restore from this backup. Not sure about any apps or docs the students have added because I do not know what your policy is.

8 replies

Oct 17, 2012 6:45 AM in response to gyrhead

So, in Configurator, where it says iOS: 5.1.1 (Check for Update) we should go ahead and check for the iOS update and then it will let us check in the iPads that already have 6? We are planning to upgrade everyone at this refresh cycle. We are not restoring from a backup. That should allow us to check in everyone, won't it? Because if they have the older system, then it will install the newer iOS...

Apr 2, 2013 2:54 PM in response to jasstbenson

I have the responsibility in our school district for developing and testing user procedures for managing iPads in the schools using Configurator. We have 600 iPads being managed by Configurator on 16 sites.

We cannot find a way of restricting users (students or teachers) from updating the iOS while using the iPad. Any mis-match of iOS version means most Configurator functionality will no longer work. Refreshing a backup, installing a new profile, and using the Assign Checkin/Checkout ALL require iOS congruence. This occurs not just with major version changes, but also with the near-weekly iOS patches within a version. "Device running newer version" errors occur with a mismatch between 6.1.2 and 6.1.3.

This causes a lot of frustration and overhead in maintaining a standard image on the iPads. At worst, students lose their work if they cant check the device back in.

Ideally, we would like to control the timing of version updates. Is there a prescribed way to do this?

Configurator won't check in devices ("Device running newer version")

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.