Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad wont start

My ipad won't start. I have been trying to charge it but it is dead. Chrager works.

iPad 2

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 10:01 AM

Assuming that the battery isn't empty (and it can take up to 15 minutes of charging before it will respond), then have you tried a reset ? Press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds, after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content, it's the iPad equivalent of a reboot.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2012 10:01 AM in response to Gypsynew1

Assuming that the battery isn't empty (and it can take up to 15 minutes of charging before it will respond), then have you tried a reset ? Press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds, after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content, it's the iPad equivalent of a reboot.

May 18, 2014 1:15 PM in response to Gypsynew1

I'm in the same boat, only the reset doesn't help. It was working fine prior to updating to the latest iOS update (7.1.1), although I did skip the 7.1 update. Now the charge won't get past the red battery screen, no matter how long I leave it plugged in for. And without the iPad being able to charge/hold a charge, there is no way for Apple to see what the issue is.

And if this happens to you while you're out of warrenty (as it did for me by 2 months with this iPad3), then the only fix apple has for you is to take an additional $300 for a replacement. Thanks but no Thanks.

So now that I'm left with a brick thanks to an Apple software update that they refuse to take responsibility for, I'm wondering if this is the end, or if there are other options.

May 18, 2014 2:12 PM in response to jessemauser

Sorry, but the software update did NOT cause your issue. Are you using a genuine Apple certified charger in a known good wall outlet? Have you tried another cable/charging block? Have you cleaned the charging area in case of debris blocking the connection? Have you inspected the area for broken/bent pins? Have you done the reset while it's still plugged in?

ipad wont start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.