Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PAUSE COMMAND FOR DIALING

Is anyone having issues with the Pause Command ( a comma) in dialing (wait for the call to be answered before dialing the phone extension)?

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 11:24 AM

10 replies

Nov 1, 2017 10:42 AM in response to sberman

I realize sberman's post is five years old, but I just learned about the comma and semicolon. I can get the comma (pause) to work just fine, but there is no Dial button to hit for the semicolon (wait) feature. The only buttons that are available are the usual keypad and the red end-call button. I must be missing something obvious, since no one else seems to be talking about this.

A bank that I call insists on a very long speech before asking for an extension. I guess I will have to just put in a bunch of commas?

Nov 1, 2017 1:01 PM in response to sberman

Now I am MORE confused. I guess I didn't state the problem accurately. The problem occurs when I am placing the call, not when entering the number into my contact. When entering the phone number into my contact, I successfully entered both a comma (for a delay when dialing) and a semicolon (for a wait when dialing). I did this by first pressing the +*# key on the lower left, then clicking pause or wait.

-

Then when I try placing the call, it rings and is answered, then after two seconds it correctly sounds the digits following the comma. Then I want the phone to sound the digits following the semicolon. The instructions say to press the Dial button again. But there is no Dial button, only a end-call red button. I tried holding down the # key as you suggest but it didn't do anything but sound a long beep. How am I supposed to tell the phone I am ready for it to sound the digits after the semicolon?

PAUSE COMMAND FOR DIALING

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.