Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone5 scratching not covered in warranty?

I bought black iPhone5 recently. It is hardly two weeks and alla round the front edges I have scratches. I take pretty good care of my phone and between my wife and I, have owned first gen iPhone, the 3G, 4S and now this one (oh, and also iPad 3). I have to say I'm extremely disappointed with the current one's quality. I don't care if it is anodized aluminium or not but it shouldn't scratch *this* easily as I know I have neither dropped it or roughed it up in anyway. I didn't even get enough time to research the protection cases available before it got scratched.

I was surprised to find that Apple does not cover this in the warranty they provided. I took it to the store and the girl there simply told me that's the way iPhone5 is and I need to either live with it or if I have option to return just return it. Thens he showed me her iPhone5 (white) saying look this didn't scratch and I was easily able to point her out to *all* the scratches she had but they were just not as visible on silver. Being a long time customer I found it very offensive that a phone would scratch in so many places within two weeks and am simply told that I am the one at fault and not the phone.

Anyways, my question is - does Apple really not cover it in warranty considering it is not one off issue? If that indeed is the case unfortunately I will have to return it, fortunately its within 30 days of the purchase from the phone carrier. The only pain point is that first I will have to return, then wait for *another* 3-4 weeks before I get a replacement phone. Sigh..

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 11:07 AM

3 replies

Oct 22, 2012 1:27 PM in response to The Reviewer

I had a black iphone 5 too and it had scratches out of the box on the edges (the edges didn't have anodized so it's very soft and very easy to get scratches). So I just returned the black and get the white. There are a few scratches on the edges of this white iphone 5 too but barely noctiable.

I recommend you to return the black and get the white too.

Nov 16, 2012 9:48 PM in response to The Reviewer

Major design flaw on Iphone 5. Glass has deep scratches from normal use in less than two months. My previous Iphone had no scratches after two years. However on this phone I can feel several deep scratches with my finger nail. I am very concerned this phone will have many deep scratches from normal use in the next few months. Like I said before, this was not an issue on my previous Iphone 4 which I owned for over two years.

Do I have a defective Iphone 5, or is this a design flaw, or both ???

I hope Apple fixes the defective glass, and replaces my phone under warranty. Apple is better than this.

iPhone5 scratching not covered in warranty?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.