Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Shared iTunes not showing all music on iPhone/iPad

I don't load my music on my iPhone or iPad so I save space. I use home share to play my music in my house. Recently (since the last iTunes update), the music app on my iPhone and iPad only display 2 artists and not any others. My whole library is shared on my iMac and I am not sure why it is doing this.

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 1:02 PM

14 replies

Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM in response to Markomann

Ok so a little mixture of luck and perseverance here got all my music showing

1. Kill the Music App
  2. Go to Settings, Music, and sign out of home sharing on your device and exit
  3. Load up the Music App and check there is no existing media stream and that the sharing option is not available. If so exit and kill the app again and reboot
  4. Go back to Settings, Music and sign back in (you should now have to put in both your apple ID and password)
  5. Go back to the Music App then More then Shared. Select your Shared Library and now you full library should refresh with all content

Dec 30, 2012 8:40 PM in response to ddjeffries

Sure hope apple fixes this problem. Exact same problem occurs on both my iPhone 5 and Ipad 2 when accessing shared library on my imac. All are running latest OS updates. I can access shared library from a MBP without any problem. I can do as suggested in the solution on this thread which will temporarily work but as soon as I put phone or ipad in standby and try to access shared library again problem reappears.

Feb 18, 2014 8:58 PM in response to epie

Does anyone know what Mrfrogerson means by "kill the music app"? I can't find that in a menu anywhere. Is it in reference to the iPad (the device that is proving absolutely useless when it comes to music sharing from iTunes on my media Mac), or on the Mac itself? I assume his solution is helpful, and I'm grateful for it, but I'm having trouble following the terminology. Thanks for any help. I really am obliged to the folks in the discussions. If this isn't resolved here, I'll give up on the iPad.

Feb 18, 2014 9:25 PM in response to TOSONA

Solution found! ???? All it took was for me to post a question here and for the Music app on the iPad to crash a couple more times, to be able, suddenly, to play tunes on my iPad from the shared iTunes library on my Mac. Still, if anyone knows what "Kill the Music app" means, I'll still be very grateful, in I'm not so lucky in future. And thanks to all for your patience.

Home Shared iTunes not showing all music on iPhone/iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.