Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My: iBook G4, iTunes, iPhone 5 and iOS6 Dilemma.

I'm sure these forums are saturated with this annoyance to old skool Mac users.

I do not understand why there should be an issue in syncing the iPhone 5 with my faithful iBook G4.

There is probably a very simple and logical explanation to why this is?

My Mac is running OSX 10.5.8 (Leopard)

iTunes 10.6.3 knows the device has been plugged in, as it prompts me to upgrade to iTunes 10.7.

iPhoto '08 also recognizes the iPhone 5. This is the area which confuses me. I can extract my photo's and video to my iBook effortlessly.

Then for another test, I downloaded a free trial of iPhone to Mac Transfer, which is compatible with PPC and Leopard.

This software showed all the content of my iPhone 5, but that's it before it bombs out. It also shows my phone as being the iPhone 4.

Is it the case that you can pull stuff from the iPhone 5, but can't send data to the device?

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 1:20 PM

2 replies

Oct 17, 2012 1:43 PM in response to Photoantics

Photoantics wrote:

I'm sure these forums are saturated with this annoyance to old skool Mac users.

I do not understand why there should be an issue in syncing the iPhone 5 with my faithful iBook G4.

There is probably a very simple and logical explanation to why this is?

My Mac is running OSX 10.5.8 (Leopard)

iTunes 10.6.3 knows the device has been plugged in, as it prompts me to upgrade to iTunes 10.7.

There is no reason why an iOS device or new iPhone can't sync with any computer of any age, other than the fact that Apple have decided the software used for the iPhone (iOS6) will not be comparable with any version of iTunes, other than the latest relase which includes all library files which support the device.

They have to draw a line somewhere and it's at Mac OS X 10.6. Anyone who owns an Apple not able of running Snow Leopard is getting left behind. Sadly Mac OS X 10.6 is just not compatible with PPC Macs.

Pretty much making them useless to truly sync with any iOS6 device.

From a development point of view, this has been a sensible decision to take.

Nov 4, 2012 6:51 PM in response to Knucklesmac

To try and overcome this issue, I've installed a little bit of software called 'Q' Which is for PPC G4 and above.

'Q' is an emulator, which gives you the option to install Windows XP within the application.

By doing this, I hope to install iTunes 10.7 and sync my iPhone using my PPC G4 iBook through Windows XP.

It seems sacrilege that I've resorted to this, but if fails I will be purchasing a SAMSUNG laptop/netbook!

My: iBook G4, iTunes, iPhone 5 and iOS6 Dilemma.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.