Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My mac OS X did not come with GarageBand, how do get it for free?

I don't want to pay for garageband because it should have come with my laptop but it didn't. I got it used so that might be the problem. Also I installed leopard on it. I'm not sure if that would affect it at all. Please help. Thanks.

GarageBand '09, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 4:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 6:52 PM

Okay, so you bought the machines used?

What OS version was on it when you bought it?

You bought Snow Leopard (10.6.x) and installed it?

The original version is important because there were some OS versions that did not include iLife (incl. Garageband) - you had to get it separately. And, the retail Snow Leopard disk does not include it.

So, if that is correct, then it doesn't have to have it installed. In any case, you can still buy a retail version of iLife with the full suite of apps from online retailers; either version 09 or 11 will work with your OS. Or you can just buy Garageband at the app store.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2012 6:52 PM in response to BMW223

Okay, so you bought the machines used?

What OS version was on it when you bought it?

You bought Snow Leopard (10.6.x) and installed it?

The original version is important because there were some OS versions that did not include iLife (incl. Garageband) - you had to get it separately. And, the retail Snow Leopard disk does not include it.

So, if that is correct, then it doesn't have to have it installed. In any case, you can still buy a retail version of iLife with the full suite of apps from online retailers; either version 09 or 11 will work with your OS. Or you can just buy Garageband at the app store.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.