Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing from iPhone

If I sync my iPhone to the Cloud, does it also sync to my computer? I noticed that my calendar and contacts did not sync to my MacBook Pro. I have iTunes set to sync to the Cloud. How do I get my iPhone to sync to both places? Thank you.

Mac Pro

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 4:40 PM

17 replies

Oct 17, 2012 5:09 PM in response to tinkerbelle2012

If you're running OS X 10.7.4 or higher and have enabled iCloud syncing as explained here: http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/mac.html, your data should be synced to your Mac. If it doesn't, start by going to icloud.com, sign into your iCloud accout and confirm that your contacts and calendar appear. If they don't, then your phone is not properly syncing your data to your iCloud account.

Oct 19, 2012 12:34 PM in response to tinkerbelle2012

I appreciate your detailed reply and I did all of this, but there seems to be an issue between the Home and Calendar calendars. When I create an event on my iphone, it may save in either calendar, therefore, when I sync I will get duplicates of some events and some events won't synch onto my Mac Book Pro at all. Additionally, after I synched, I noticed that almost all of my contacts were duplicated on my iPhone. I must have messed something up.

Oct 19, 2012 1:31 PM in response to tinkerbelle2012

Ok, you mentioned earlier that you were having an issue with the Home and Calendar calendars. I suspect that the issue traces to the fact that you have multiple calendars with this same name. Only the "Home", "Calendar" and "Work" calendars listed under the iCloud heading will sync with your iCloud account. And if you try to sync with both iTuens and iCloud you will end up with duplicates. What you should do at this point is on this same screen on your phone, check only the calendars listed under "iCloud" and "Subscribed", then tap Done and check your calendar. This is how it will appear if you uncheck Sync Calendars in iTunes, sync and let iTunes delete the calendars it is syncing.

If you are satisfied with this, do the following:

1. On you Mac, open iCal (Calendar), go to File>Export>Calendar Archive, and save this file on your desktop. This will be your backup in case something goes wrong.
  2. Next, reconnect your phone to iTunes, uncheck Sync Calendars (and Sync Contacts if that is also checked), click Apply and sync, allowing it to remove synced calendars.
  3. Eject your phone and check your calendar and check your calendar to be sure everything is still intact.
  4. Go to Settings>Mail,Contact>Calendars...scroll down to the Calendars section and tap Default Calendar and make sure the calendar you want to be your default when you enter new events on your phone is selected.

Oct 19, 2012 1:59 PM in response to tinkerbelle2012

That's probably because they were entered on one of the calendars listed under On My iPhone, which doesn't sync with iCloud. You can check by opening the calendar on your phone, tap Calendars, then check only the calendars listed under On My iPhone and tap Done. If the missing events appear now, the only way to sync them to your Mac via iCloud is to manually enter these on one of the calendars listed under iCloud. After doing so, go back and check only the calendars listed under iCloud so you won't see any duplicate entries on your phone (because you will no longer be viewing the ones on the On My iPhone calendars).

Syncing from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.