Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change back my dual-processor mac-mini to only Mac? I want to get access to the memory that my partition with the windows side will give me.

I have a mac-mini that I partitioned into two sides, windows and mac. I now want to do away with the bootcamp-windows side all together so that I can use the memory. ON disc utility, I've tried to un-mount the bootcamp, re-loading the entire OS-X, the Directory I choose is only the Mac HD (BootCamp doesn't even appear during this phase), but after all is said and done, when I look at disk utility again - there it is - Bootcamp with the capacity to use half my memory. It's empty, but its still partitioned to use half my memory. Any suggestions on getting rid of the original partition? or any other tricks?

Thanks

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Intego security

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 6:29 PM

The Windows partition that was created in BootCamp must be deleted in BootCamp.

If you do it with Disk Utility there is a very good chance you will end up corrupting your disk.

Allan

5 replies

Oct 18, 2012 9:24 AM in response to Jordan_Sensei

Jordan_Sensei wrote:

thanx I appreciate it.

I did that, then went on to format Bootcamp with OS-X, and activated share files. I still wasn't able to just have one mac memory, but it works.

Jordan

You did what? You used Bootcamp Assistant to remove the Bootcamp partition or you use Disk Utility to remove the Bootcamp partition. There is only one right way and that is to use Bootcamp Assistant. Once you do this the Bootcamp partition is gone and you are left with a single OSx partition. So your statement "I did that, then went on to format Bootcamp with OS-X, and activated share files." does not make any sense.

Oct 19, 2012 7:51 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

I attempted to use bootcamp assistant to remove the partition, but it wouldn't let me.

I re-formated my mini with the original formatting discs, it didn't have a choice for one vs. two sides (only bootcamp or mac). I chose to format bootcamp into a mac, it wouldn't let me format my 10.6.8 mac side because it was "a higher upgrade." When finished, I "Shared Files" with my other mac-side. I now have two mac sides on both sides of the partition. Any suggestions to how to get only ONE mac? thanx.

Jordan

Oct 19, 2012 7:56 AM in response to Jordan_Sensei

What do you mean by 'it wouldn't let me' what actually happened?

Now that you have used the wrong method you should erase your disk entirely and start over, this will destroy everything on the disk so backup before you start. You seem to be unsure of the procedures you are undertaking, read the documentation and always Backup Before You Begin!

How do I change back my dual-processor mac-mini to only Mac? I want to get access to the memory that my partition with the windows side will give me.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.