Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Hangs 3 secs whe I plug-in USB keys on mountain Lion

Hello guys, I installed Mountain Lion ten days ago.

There is just this small issue: when I insert any usb device the screen and mouse pointer freeze for 3 seconds ish. Then averithing gets normal.

I repaired permissions, clean pram, used cccleaner to get the system lighter.

Do you have any advice about it?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 7:29 PM

14 replies

Oct 18, 2012 11:02 AM in response to SimonToTheClub

I have this same problem as well. I'm using a 2009 13in Macbook Pro running OSX 10.8.2

When I plug my iphone 5 usb cable into my macbook the trackpad stops working for about 3 seconds like you said. I'm always spinning my finger around the trackpad trying to regain operation... the problem does not occur when I'm using the trackpad while plugging in the usb cable simultaneously, which is strange. This happens without fault, every single time I plug in the usb cable, within a second the trackpad becomes unresponsive...this should not be normal... I don't believe this happen before 10.8.2

This does not happen on my girlfriends 2012 13in Macbook Pro running 10.8.2 as well.

Nov 1, 2012 7:09 AM in response to SimonToTheClub

I replied to another thread but I'll comment here too. I am also experiencing this exact issue. For me it happened when I installed a Samsung 830 SSD in my computer. But oddly enough plugging in the SSD as an external (when I cloned the drive) was when I first noticed the issue (before actually installing the drive).

It isn't a huge problem and otherwise my computer works fine (13-inch MBP 2009) but I'd love a fix. Also on 10.8.2.

Nov 5, 2012 7:42 PM in response to SimonToTheClub

Hey all,

My mouse pointer no longer has that 3 second delay after I uninstalled a Google program called "Android File Transfer". I'm not sure why that was the cause of my problem because the magic trackpad is connected through bluetooth. My advice is if you have some sort of USB program installed, try uninstalling that to see if it is the source of the problem. Hope this helps!

Jan 7, 2013 7:10 PM in response to SimonToTheClub

Thanks, guys. This fixed it for me, too. In fact, I'm wondering if this will stop the occasional random stuck mouse I've been experiencing since installing Android File Transfer and Kies.

I don't know what's worse: That Samsung's software is garbage to use, or that it screws up my Mac when I'm not even using it. I bought a Galaxy Tab for development purposes, and all that's developed is my disdain for Android.

Jan 7, 2013 9:26 PM in response to newsdude

I here you newsdude. I bought a Tab 10.1 for dev purposes also, primarily because Android dev tools suck! In particular, the emulator is a POS. And even with well over a decade of Eclipse use, I still can't stand it. I'd almost rather use vim and bash over Eclipse. Anyway, yes. What a cluster Android is on the Tab. After finally getting ICS almost a year after release, I had to root the stupid thing to finally kill the "crash any app that attempts to copy to the clipboard" problem. Which is the only reason I had the AFT installed. And Kies. Wow. What another hulking POS. Its quality is right up there with Sony's Reader Library software. I just don't get why these guys can't figure out that tightly integrated systems is one of the primary keys to Apple's success. </rant>

Feb 15, 2013 11:12 AM in response to Blueyo

I agree, Android File Transfer (specifically, the agent) does this - thanks!

Instead of removing it entirely, you can just close the "Android File Transfer Agent" application/service. Search for "android" in Activity Monitor, then, remove it from your startup items under System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Your User -> Login Items. Select the "Android File Transfer Agent" item and click the remove/minus button.

If you need to transfer files from an android phone in the future, you still can by manually launching the app.

Macbook Pro Hangs 3 secs whe I plug-in USB keys on mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.