Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing (freezing controls) iPad 2

Has anyone else been experiencing playback issues within Home Sharing on any iPad. I am on the iPad 2 and whenever I begin playing an episode or any form of video media, the controls seem to freeze after a few minutes of play, but the file continues to play without any issues. The main problem is that you cannot play/pause, high speed scrub, etc. I am always forced to "force quit" the Video's app and start over again, but it takes 2 force quits to accomplish this. Somewhat annoying. I wonder how fully supported iOS 6 is with iPad 2. I have noticed a substantial amount of slow down even with mutli-gestures. Everything seems delayed. Looking forward to hearing peoples comments.

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 9:06 PM

10 replies

Oct 23, 2012 9:47 PM in response to 2 Time Olympian

I've been experiencing almost the same issue since "upgrading" to iOS 6. I'm using the newest version of iTunes on my Mac and I have a 3 Gen. iPad. If I do not constantly keep the video controls onscreen when watching a video the player locks up and I can't pause, stop, or use any of the other on screen controls (actual volume controls still work). When I press the home button the audio still continues to play - sometimes even after I've fully shut down the video player app. This then requires a full reboot of the iPad to correct. This only happens when I'm watching videos through home sharing and not when the videos are actually saved on the iPad.

The above issues is accompanied with the home sharing library being completely messed up when displayed on my iPad. Some TV seasons are missing and others are displayed multiple times. There are even movie titles and album covers from my music collection that show up on the TV show list (they do not respond when touched).

Is anyone at Apple even working on a fix? Is there any way this issue can be directly sent to apple tech support? Does anyone from apple read these forums?

This issue has seriously impacted my enjoyment of my Apple devices. Couple this major glitch with the maps fiasco (i gotten lost while using) and the loss of the YouTube app and I'm starting to think that it might be time for a change.

Jun 28, 2013 8:59 AM in response to 2 Time Olympian

I'm having the exact same problem. When streaming a movie from my Mac-Mini to my iPad 3 the controls will not reappear after a few minutes. Then I click the home button to get control of my iPad and when I go back into the Video app it crashes.

I've tried resets of the iPad, logging in/out of home sharing, restarting the Mac-mini (which I don't think is the problem), etc.

iPad "3" OS version 6.1.3.

Bumping this thread to get more attention (hopefully). I hope iOS 7 has this magically fixed.

Aug 15, 2013 3:34 PM in response to 2 Time Olympian

I too experience this. Mid 2011 Mac mini, large media library on external FireWire 800 drive, iPad 2, iOS 6.

I haven't purposely experimented with this, but I wonder if it has anything to do with a video's size or resolution? Will have to see if this "hang" is repeatable with some files but not with others.

In any case, this appears to not be something that just popped up. I wish apple would deal with it! Probably won't until iOS 7 gets out the door.

Another thing: the video player needs a search feature!

Oct 19, 2013 7:01 AM in response to 2 Time Olympian

I've been experiencing the same issue with playback of home share videos on the iPad. Only the video app freezes and requires a couple shutdowns before it will launch again. Sometimes it wii playback for the entire 30 minutes, especially if I don't attempt any changes using the layback controls.

What I don't understand is where is apple is resolving this issue. Lots of posts of the problem...it obviously exists. Only suggestion is a complete refresh? I would do if certain it would resolve the issue long term, but not as a guess.

Anyone heard any ideas from apple on fixing the problem. I am running iPad 3 with IOS 6.1.3 and 2 year old Mac Pro running Leopard 10.6.8 and iTunes 11.04

There must be a fix from apple on the way....right?

Home Sharing (freezing controls) iPad 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.