Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i'm unable to use video on iChat

... even though I have a camera on my MacBook Pro, all of a sudden it just won't work, saying that "This computer does not support video chats". I sent video chat requests to my buddies on iChat and it says that there was just no response from them and the same thing happens when i get video chat requests. What once was the 'video' tab along the top of iChat, is now just 'Audio' and the only things i can select on that tab are 'Audio chat enabled' and 'Connection doctor'

This is my first Mac, so I'm not all that experienced with them... anything that would help solve my iChat would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 11:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 12:39 PM

HI,

As you have seen several places list things about the camera and whether it is Enabled in iChat

The Wording in the Video Menu for iChat 6 does tend to be Video Chat Enabled (and it should have a tick).

To show the Green Video icons next to Buddies in the Buddy List the View Menu > Show Video Status has to be ticked.

This is not dependent on there being a camera as it will allow you to do One way Video chats. (Seen Buddies Menu)

There can be several reasons why iChat thinks it cannot use the camera.

1) All Apps have "lost Contact" with the camera.

Does it work in Photo Booth or iMovie or Quicktime Player ?

2) If you have iChat Starting when the Computer starts up then the app makes a check on the Internet Speed.

It can be it makes this check before the connection is finalised and the "wrong" speed is seen by iChat as the computer was Busy.

Try restarting iChat

3) The Internet Speed (or the bit you get for your computer if the connection is shared = Bandwidth) is "too Low" for Video chats.
Check that you are getting what your paid for http://www.speedtest.net/

4) In the iChat menu > Preferences > Video Section > Bandwidth Limit is set to low.

Video chats need at least 100kbps to work 1-1

Depending on what the computer is doing you may not actually have that free for iChat even if you se the Bandwidth Limit to 100kbps.

Set this to 500kbps is the "best" overall speed to set.

User uploaded file
8:39 PM Thursday; October 18, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2012 12:39 PM in response to stella7

HI,

As you have seen several places list things about the camera and whether it is Enabled in iChat

The Wording in the Video Menu for iChat 6 does tend to be Video Chat Enabled (and it should have a tick).

To show the Green Video icons next to Buddies in the Buddy List the View Menu > Show Video Status has to be ticked.

This is not dependent on there being a camera as it will allow you to do One way Video chats. (Seen Buddies Menu)

There can be several reasons why iChat thinks it cannot use the camera.

1) All Apps have "lost Contact" with the camera.

Does it work in Photo Booth or iMovie or Quicktime Player ?

2) If you have iChat Starting when the Computer starts up then the app makes a check on the Internet Speed.

It can be it makes this check before the connection is finalised and the "wrong" speed is seen by iChat as the computer was Busy.

Try restarting iChat

3) The Internet Speed (or the bit you get for your computer if the connection is shared = Bandwidth) is "too Low" for Video chats.
Check that you are getting what your paid for http://www.speedtest.net/

4) In the iChat menu > Preferences > Video Section > Bandwidth Limit is set to low.

Video chats need at least 100kbps to work 1-1

Depending on what the computer is doing you may not actually have that free for iChat even if you se the Bandwidth Limit to 100kbps.

Set this to 500kbps is the "best" overall speed to set.

User uploaded file
8:39 PM Thursday; October 18, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 24, 2012 11:44 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

User uploaded file For the points User uploaded file

User uploaded file
7:44 PM Wednesday; October 24, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

i'm unable to use video on iChat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.