Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

At start up I get a request to install a bitdefender extension to safari. I am sure this is a virus as the link is not familiar, how do I remove this start up request

At start up I get a request to install a bitdefender extension to safari. I am sure this is a virus as the link is not familiar, how do I remove this start up request

iMac (20-inch Early 2009), iOS 6

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 12:43 AM

11 replies

Mar 27, 2014 7:11 AM in response to Pero127

Hi Pero127,

What I mean is was this a package installer, or an actual extension?

If just an extension, when you double click one, the OS asks if you want the extension installed. In which case, yes, that is the only item installed on your computer and you can then just uninstall it.

But if it was an application installer package, then it could have installed many more items onto your computer than just the extension. The rest will still be on your drive after removing the extension.

Mar 27, 2014 7:40 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Oh i installed bitdefender but later that day i uninstalled it. And that evening when i switch my macbook on the safari popped-up with bitdefender extension asking me if i want to install it. So i checked around and couldnt find a solution to make it stop. SO i decided just ti install the bitdefender extension and uninstall it. So is there other stuff installed on my macbook i dont know about?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.