Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto for DxO users

I have just imported 282 images of my son's wedding fro a DVD supplied by a very bad photographer for the simple reason that iPhoto was the only application that could access the DVD. I have also on a previous occasion had cause to import from a Leica instead of my Nikon & again iPhoto did. So great, and justifies its space on the box. Its also extremely good for creating photo-animations, unfortunately it seems impossible to run them from a PC or send them around ones friends.(v7.1.5, the last free one)

Wanting to delete about 200 of the above photos so they are not clogging up disk space, I asked the question "where does iPhoto store its files" and read most of that horrendous 12 page discussion thread and after a little head-scratching went back to 'DxO pro' the photo-editing prog I now use nearly exclusively; it is the intuitive sort of thing mac used to be and to which photoshop is the ultimate antithesis, as are most of the manouevres suggested in that discussion thread.

If anyone else uses it, I can confirm that the organise section accesses the iPhoto library and the delete button works fine! And of course its easy enough to edit the borderline ones that are editable in passing.

Macbook pro 15, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 4GB RAM 2.4GHz

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 3:08 AM

6 replies

Oct 18, 2012 5:22 AM in response to Yer_Man

More of an observation Terence, as that other thread was closed. Despite the fact that a significant proportion of professional/professional-standard photographers use mac, it is often difficult to get detailed advice on the combination of mac and a specific prog. The 'mac' version is rarely fully matched to the OS. Someone else out there may be having the same problems & the DxO internal forum, mac section is a bit thin.

There are many 'should's that don't. My macbook pro just spat the disk out; I then tried it in my son's more ancient white job on 10.4.11 which happened to have iPhoto open that I knew to do that on mine as a quick way, but had to import the lot. I have now deleted the 205 of 282 not worth messing with and all the reductions, but I needed to make the choice in a prog that will correct hideous degrees of barrel distortion and under-exposure

I may be out of date, but iPhoto used to have a 2 level storage system and apparent deletion didn't delete the 'originals' = original import, which is why I never used it much even before I got to working in raw etc.

Oct 18, 2012 5:31 AM in response to abderite

Okay. iPhoto is not a professional app, nor has it ever pretended to be. It's a $15 app aimed at the family snapper with a point and shoot or a phone. It will do more, but that's what it's optimised for. Put another way, barrel distortion is not something we see mentioned here very often. Pros will be using apps like Aperture or Adobe's Lightroom.

As for your MBP spitting the disk out - I'd be cleaning the lens on it. Image Capture (in your Applications Folder) is another app you can use just to get photos from a disk/camera to the Finder. You can set Dxo as an external editor in iPhoto.

I'm not sure what you mean by "a 2 level storage system" but the way to delete files from iPhoto has always been the same - as described above - with the extra step of emptying the system trash arriving with iPhoto 11.

Regards

TD

Oct 18, 2012 7:59 AM in response to Yer_Man

Diverting off topic a bit, maybe it was a freak that the DVD in question was importable with iPhoto running. I don't have that particular one, but have tried a couple of others and they get spat out with iPhoto or Image Capture running; but CDs are still read OK

So if this is typical of dirty lens performance and you are evidently a highly experienced guy, which of the 3 methods bandied around do you favour, ie (a) cloth and card (b) cleaning CD (c) dismantle and physically clean?

(I have replaced the internal HD with a larger one so not scared of the guts)

Chris

iPhoto for DxO users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.