Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport and WEP encryption = Is there a work around to make it work?

I can't connect to my 2wire dsl router wirelessly with this ibook. I have been able with all other machines but not this one.
My dsl provider gave up and told me to call Apple and they also(because the 2000's are no longer covered).
I just need a workable solution to connect via the modem securely wirelessly.
I have been able to connect to another mac network and other networks at coffehouses, etc. ... just not at home.

ibook G3 Mac OS 9.2.x DVD 320mb Ram 10gb

Posted on Apr 14, 2006 11:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2006 2:01 PM

Lets clarify what exactly it is that you want to do. You mention connecting to a modem and you also mention connecting to a DSL Router, your referring to a DSL Router and a DSL Modem? First off do you have any other Mac's that can connect to your home network? Second, what type of router do you have. Have you tried using network diagnostics? Have you tried Turning off both the DSL Router and Modem and then rebooting them? If you go into "Network" in System Preferences does it say you are connected to the network? Also, in the name of this thread you mention WEP, are you having trouble being able to login to your network?

-Internet Wiz
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2006 2:01 PM in response to sreudianflip

Lets clarify what exactly it is that you want to do. You mention connecting to a modem and you also mention connecting to a DSL Router, your referring to a DSL Router and a DSL Modem? First off do you have any other Mac's that can connect to your home network? Second, what type of router do you have. Have you tried using network diagnostics? Have you tried Turning off both the DSL Router and Modem and then rebooting them? If you go into "Network" in System Preferences does it say you are connected to the network? Also, in the name of this thread you mention WEP, are you having trouble being able to login to your network?

-Internet Wiz

Apr 15, 2006 1:05 AM in response to Internet Wiz

I have a dsl router(the dsl tech called it a modem) 2wire gateway with usb/wireless/ethernet. No other macs right now - my bro's g5 on osx connected no problem.
I tried the reboot before calling both the dsl tech and apple. Apple tech doesn't support os9 on this g3 any longer - but said he would email me a workaround in one of apples articles(not yet received).
WEP encryption seems to be the culprit. without it the g3 connects instantly - otherwise i just get the 'wrong password' message.
The Apple tech implied there was a workaround to the snafu caused by the airport card from 'grabbing' or 'holding' onto the WEP password/code.
Thats what I'm hoping for, temporarily, until I can upgrade to osx

Airport and WEP encryption = Is there a work around to make it work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.